Chapter 8: A Midnight Escape before the Dawn. (Part 3)

Start from the beginning

"I made a pie this morning, want to have some?" Kyle asked a little awkwardly. The two hadn't seen each other for ten days and he wasn't quite sure how to act around her.

"I'd love to," Lillia let out a genuine smile.

"Good I was afraid what to do if you said no," Kyle joked trying to ease the tension as he moved to prepare it. As he cut the pie and boiled some tea, neither of them said a word. The officers outside were keen to leave them alone, though Valandus had moved a little closer to hear from the gap in the door.

Lillia broke the silence, "I'm sorry for not letting you visit sooner. I... I didn't want you to see me like before."

Kyle looked at her gently, "Then why did you let me in the end?"

She shrugged, "I'm not sure. I mean I missed seeing you and everyone in the Garden but... really I thought that maybe if you were here you could change something."

"Change something?"

"You saw me out there didn't you?" she laughed pitifully at herself. "I was a complete mess. When I watched Jana train she adapted so quickly to the armour and could defeat hordes of demons on her own. I'm nowhere near as fast or strong as I should be."

"But what makes you think I could do anything?" Kyle smiled wryly. "I'm not a bad baker and I can look after people but even with all those books on magic I still can't use any of it."

"That's the feeling I get though," Lillia looked at him and touched her chest without realising. "Maybe if it's you together we could come up with something."

For a while he said nothing. In a week's time Lillia and Tai would leave to somewhere he couldn't follow and risk their lives. From the reports he knew that two Primarchs never came back to back but there were other things that could happen like hordes or oddities. When push came to shove he may never see her again and if one thing was true he knew he didn't want that.

"For now let's have some tea," Kyle finished preparing the plates. "We can eat with everyone else and relax for a while. You deserve it." Before he could even call for them Valandus stepped inside.

"Well I see that we're ready to eat some grub," he rubbed his hands excitedly. "I've been waiting for this."

Kyle couldn't help smile at his enthusiasm but had to warn him, "I'd calm down a bit. This isn't your first slice after all and I can't say it's really healthy for you."

"Please," Valandus waved him off. "I know what I can handle."

The Captain and Reina joined them soon after and the five ate in relative peace. Only Valandus continued to make conversation as he pointed out bits and pieces to Kyle and talked about places in the city he should visit one day. Kyle was charmed by his words. Since he had arrived he had been confined to the mountain and from the driver's stories, the city sounded amazing. From the larger constructions like the railway that led to the other cities, the arena where they held competitions or the famous theatres, to the smaller places like the secret back alley bars or places to shop for goods. He had a way of speaking that seemed to paint a wonderful picture of excitement. It was towards the end of their break when Kyle noticed he wasn't the only one entranced. Although seemingly trying to hide it, he noticed Lillia's eyes shine longingly. Kyle made his decision.

"Captain I'd like to apply for some leave."

The Captain widened his eyes, "Right now?"

"As soon as possible and I'd like to take Lillia and Tai with me. We won't go far. Just to the city and not for long. I only ask for a day, half a day even." His eyes pleaded against the Captain's.

"That's... that may be a bit difficult," Bethial creased his brow. "Tai yes, but Lillia is... she's needed here."

"What if she never gets another chance?" he had to say the words in his heart. "Call it selfish but I want Lillia to see the city, to have fun one more time before she has to go and I want to be there with her."

It was Reina who replied while the Captain deliberated, "What you're asking for isn't possible. Every single hour we have left needs to be to prepare Lillia. The more she can use the Hero's armour the better chance we'll all have for survival."

Kyle grit his teeth, "Then what if we can prove to you that she's ready? I'll work with Lillia and make sure that no matter what happens when the demon's come she'll survive."

"You?" Reina glared at him. "Don't think you're special when you're-,"

"That's enough Reina," the Captain stopped her. "A suitable reward should be given in return for effort but I can't decide this alone. If you can prove to 1st Officer Pelmont that you're ready for battle, I'll allow you the afternoon before our departure as free time, even within the city."

Reina gasped, "Captain that's-."

"Pelmont was that guy from before right?" Kyle interjected. In ordinary circumstances he wouldn't dare interrupt Reina but he was serious now.

Bethial nodded, "Yes. He's in charge of the ordinary soldiers of the Guard during combat with the demons. I'll warn you, it will be hard to change his mind."

"We'll do it." Kyle turned to Lillia whose eyes were wide in surprise from the whole conversation, "Right Lillia?"

"Um yes. I mean of course!" her cheeks flushed with energy. "We'll show him!"

The Captain laughed heartily, "I really hope you two show me something amazing. You have six days. I'll hold Pelmont back till then and you'll have free reign so long as you don't leave the Hero's Guard's jurisdiction."

"Yes sir!" Kyle saluted. Truth be told he wasn't quite confident but an idea had begun to grow in his heart.