Episode 8: Flames of Learning

Start from the beginning

"Woah, it's the sea!" Lidia said, running ahead of us. How could she and Carter have so much energy?

"So that's the sea!" Carter said, leaping.

Why didn't he stutter just now? The excitement probably allowed him to speak right. At least, that was the only reasonable assumption I could make. I rubbed my ear. If only he would be quieter. My lips curled upward as I remembered my twin sister. She probably would get along with him if she were here. Ugh, that would've been a nightmare.

"Come on, let's go!" Carter yelled.

Aurelius chuckled and ran after him and Lidia, as did Nate.

I panted.

"Are you alright?" Mira asked.

I nodded. "Yeah, just a little tired, is all."

"Want me to carry you?"

My face flushed. "I-I'm not that weak!"

"Huh? I said nothing about you being weak."

I turned away. She didn't have to. Even if that weren't her intention, it would come off as such to others.

"It's fine. I can walk. I've been through worse," I said, going on ahead.

"Alright, but if you start to pass out, I'll pick you up."

I looked over my shoulder. "Why do you even care?"

"Huh?"

"We barely met, and you have no connection to my family or friends."

She lowered her head. "True, but we are going to be classmates."

"Are you that confident in your skills?"

Mira raised her hands to her head. "You're right. I'm getting ahead of myself here. But, we are traveling companions..." She shook her head. "Sorry."

What was with her? Why the sudden apology?

"Why are you apologizing?" Kanja asked before I could.

Mira averted her gaze. "I was intruding on Huoyin's affairs without permission when I'm new here."

"True, but it's not like you dug into his past. All you were doing was offering him help. One shouldn't be reprimanded for that!"

I lowered my head. Had I hurt Mira's feelings? "Sorry. I-I'm not very good with people," I mumbled.

"Apology accepted," Mira said.

I looked up at the armored girl. Why was she accepting it so readily?

Kanja smiled and patted Mira on the shoulder. "You only want to make friends, don't you?"

Mira gasped and turned her head left and right. The red spheres underneath the armor also moved back and forth.

The silver-haired girl let go of her and let out a sigh. "It's nothing to be ashamed of. I want to make some friends too."

"T-then does that mean that we're friends?"

Kanja smirked. "Of course." She glanced at me. "Want to be friends with Mira too?"

My face reddened. "No. I don't make friends with people I don't know well."

"So you're that kind of guy, huh? Well, then, hopefully, you'll be able to grow closer."

"I sure hope so," Mira said.

I looked away again. Why did I feel like a bad guy?

"Huo, Mira, Kanja!" Lidia yelled, waving at us from the pier. They had left us behind—even Koukyuu, who was walking alone between our two groups. Our guide turned around and waved at us.