65: Flynn

Thanks already to brightyeoli and amiva0402 for commenting.

Now... enjoy a long-awaited Flynn chapter (I know some of you have wanted another one from his perspective).

And I'll never complain about seeing Herbert in the banner artwork

____

I spent the rest of the week giving Callie the space she needed, despite her sister's insistence that now was the time to keep pressing.

The truth was, I don't think Lexi quite knew Callie like I did. Because there was something really off about her right now... like if I pushed her too far, then she'd just snap. And with Callie, there was a line. Push her just enough out of her comfort zone so that she doesn't shy away from things. But never push her so that she crumbles. At least, that's how I had always played it with her before.

I needed to let her come to me at this point.

How I'd manage that... I didn't know.

But sometimes destiny had its way... or something cheesy like that. Because in maths on Monday, things started to head my way. Just a little bit.

We were in full blown study mode for the external exam, with only two weeks to go.

And to say I was nervous would be an understatement.

I was shitting bricks.

Every single number blurred into one on my page as I realised just how far behind I had fallen over the past term.

Adding to my despair was Miss Fischer's reminder at the beginning of the term that the, "External exam makes up 50% of our overall grade. So it is imperative we study hard."

But how does one study when one doesn't even know what they are looking at?

Shaking my head, I read and reread the example question in front of me for the hundredth time.

My hand itched to be raised again to call the teacher over for help.

But it was the fifth question.

And I had called her over every time now.

I rested my head down on the table, as a wall of shame and defeat started to overcome me as I realised I was stupid for thinking I could ever pursue university. That I would scrape by enough to get there. That—

"Start here," a gentle, lilting voice suddenly said from beside me, pulling me from my self-doubting spiral.

Head slowly lifting, my eyes met her grey ones.

She wasn't looking at me.

Instead, her gaze was fixated on my paper, starting to scribble down the step-by-step process to solve the equation.