16: Lexi

Shout out to my usual trio for their engagement in the comments last chapter. You're all amazing: jueka1 , amiva0402 , and brightyeolie ! Would love to see more names that I can add here ;D C'mon passive readers.

Also... after the last few chapters, I'm tempted to ask:

So are we all Team Flynn Forever now or are some of us still open to Noah?

Also... how many of you are Team KillFraser?

Anyway... I'd say enjoy the chapter but...

_____

Step. Breath.

Step. Breath.

Step. Breath.

Last night's nightmare was playing on repeat as I jogged down the street in the early hours of the morning. My wireless headphones were attached to my ears, blaring music—another attempt to drown out the thought spiral.

***

"I can't believe you spoke to Noah for nearly the whole lunch break," I gushed as we walked home.

"Shut up," Callie mumbled, though no one and nothing could wipe the smile from her face.

"Callie and Noah sitting in a tree," I started to sing. "K-I-S-S-I-N-G"

"Shut uuuuup!" Callie said again, still smirking though her eyebrows did knot together in a flash of annoyance.

"Make me," I challenged.

"Careful what you wish for," she said, eyes narrowing.

And so I blew kissy faces at my sister as I crossed over the train track. "Oooh, Noah! Mwah!" I teased.

"That's it!" she screeched, and she began running for me.

But her sudden movements saw the final knot holding her shoelace together come undone. String untangling, she stepped on it as she crossed the tracks, tripping over in the process and collapsing on the ground.

"Ouch," she hissed as she moved, looking at the graze on her knee.

Eyes wide, I exclaimed, "Are you okay, Callie?"

***

Step. Breath.

Step. Breath.

Step. Breath.

The sun was just peeking over the rooftops, casting a glow in the sky.

The birds were in full swing, starting to call to the new day.

But I just focussed on my breaths, trying to shake the memory from my head before it got to that point again.

***

Ever so slowly, I walked over to her to help her up. But the moment I got close, she lunged for me.

As her hand collided with my arm, I started running, tugging out of her grip as I headed down the wrong side of the fence by the train track. "Can't catch me!" I called out after her.

"Come back here, Lexi!" she shouted, pants echoing from a few steps away.

Jumping across the tracks, I started running back up towards the crossing section, Callie a couple steps behind as she turned around.