54: Callie

I'll be behind in my chapters written now... but hopefully I can write one this week to stay on track.

I just feel this needs to go up with the last one.

Enjoy a little more Ashton.

Thanks already to jueka1

____

"I... Well... Not... I—" I tried and failed to come up with a lie, an excuse, something to get me out of this awkward situation.

But the corners of Ashton's lips turned up. "I overheard basically everything you told Jackson, Callie. Don't even try to deny it... but I tell you what, it did feel slightly better to have a clearer reason as to why your sister did what she did. This whole time I thought she was just a manipulative bitch who wouldn't let you be—"

"She is a manipulative bitch," I muttered, crossing my arms over my chest.

"Exactly, she... Wait. What?"

And so I figured if he knew about my relationship with Flynn, if he knew about the kiss list, what was the worst that could happen? So I told him everything. From when we wrote the list, to when she came back, to how Flynn got involved... all of it. "And if she had never come back and made me do it then I wouldn't be like this now."

A myriad of emotions were flickering across Ashton's face as though he weren't sure where to begin. But then he settled on, "So you did like me a little before I messed it up with my stupid comments and beliefs?"

Heaving a sigh that that was what he had fixated on, I gave him a nod.

Ashton's eyes lit up as a cocky grin took hold of his face. "I knew it," he then said. "I doubted it for a bit after overhearing your conversation with Jackson, but a part of me just felt it."

Shaking my head, I said, "Aren't you mad?"

"Of course not."

"But I used you."

Ashton sighed. "You're sitting here talking with me despite how horrible you thought I was. Meaning, you've quickly forgiven me despite not being a great person. How can I be mad because you used me to kiss me? I feel like I won in the end there..."

He did have a point.

"My actual concern is... why have you continued your list? Is this a post-breakup thing?"

"I want to get rid of Lexi."

Ashton pressed his lips together in response.

"What?"

"Are you sure that's what you want?"

With a slight shrug, I said, "It will make me feel better for now. Even if one day I do take it back..." I felt a bit of weight exit my body at the admission that I knew my anger wouldn't last forever. That for now I just needed her to be my punching bag until I was ready to be honest with her. But I'd never admit that part to anyone. "So yes, it's what I want."

Ashton gave me a small nod before saying, "So who is it at this party who is on your list?"

"How did you—"

But the deadpan stare said all. For good measure, Ashton threw in, "You never come to parties, Callie. But you did for Fraser and you did for me. So evidently you're here to tick someone off."

Heaving a sigh, I fell against the bed end and said, "Luke."

"Luke?" he asked back in confusion. But then suddenly he sat up. "As in Luke Luke? Like Luke McCarthy? My—"