42: Callie

I wrote another chapter this afternoon so... It's time I give you this.

Thanks jueka1 and brightyeolie

Enj... Nevermind.

____

The moment I woke up the next day, I did what I did most mornings and shot Flynn a text to bid him good morning. He always woke up a little later than me—getting ready with two legs was a much quicker process.

Showered, hair dried and curled, and a light dusting of makeup on my face—something I didn't normally do, but couldn't help myself in desperation to seem worthy enough for him—I immediately wheeled back to my room to see if he had replied.

But my message lingered on my screen, the two ticks indicating it had sent, but no seen status appearing.

Pushing away the confusion, I grabbed my uniform and slipped into it before rolling my slip over my stump.

Then I checked my phone again, worried I had somehow popped it on silent and that was why it hadn't rung with a notification. Because, by now, he had normally replied.

Screen still blank, I tossed my phone back on my bed and reached for my prosthetic. Fitting the socket over my stump, I rolled the sleeve over my thigh, suctioning the leg in place before getting to my feet.

Then I checked my phone once more.

Still nothing.

Did he forget to charge it last night? I wondered as I leaned down to pick up my backpack.

Throwing the thought, I realised I'd know soon enough when I got to school.

While I never normally saw Flynn on a Monday until I was walking to maths, we had promised last night to meet up before school so that we could give each other a good morning hug before having to head off to our first classes.

Though once I exited mum's car that morning, I glanced around the front of the school, unable to spot the dark-haired boy.

"Maybe he's running late?" Lexi asked, hooking her arm through mine. "But let's not also be late because of him."

With that, I let my sister tug me off towards Sara, who was waiting by the gates, ready to walk to homeroom together.

But as Lexi and Sara made casual chit chat, I couldn't help but sneak my phone out of my pocket once more, glancing at my last sent message, still waiting to be read.

Once we arrived at class, as the teacher had her head turned towards the screen to mark the roll, I quickly pulled my phone out of my pocket under my desk and shot Flynn another text.

Hope you didn't oversleep <3

I watched the circle slowly turn until the ticks appeared, saying it had been sent.

But I never saw three dots appear.

Never saw a seen show up.

"Callie Peterson-Williams," a disappointed voice said from way too close.

Eyes wide like a kangaroo caught in headlights, I craned my neck to look at my homeroom teacher.

Hand extended, she maintained eye contact, evidently telling me what I had to do through her gaze.

Reluctantly, I held down the off-button on my phone before passing it over.

"You know the rules," she said as she took it off me. "Phones off during class. You can pick it up from the office at the end of school."