43: Lexi

Sorry about last chapter... Well... not really. But here's another?

Thanks already to brightyeolie and jueka1 for their comments last chapter.

____

"We can't tell her today," was the first thing Sara said as we bid goodbye to Callie on our way to our Film, TV class.

"We can't," I agreed. "Not until Flynn appears at least to calm her nerves."

Sara nodded in agreement as we pulled out things out of our bags. "I just wonder where he is. This is very unusual of him."

I agreed as we walked into the classroom, taking our usual seats up the back. But even I was starting to feel a knot in my stomach that something was really really wrong here...

Because it's one thing for him to not reply to my sister. It could be a flat phone.

Then it's another thing for him to not even show up at school. Though maybe he's still somehow sleeping in and didn't hear his alarm thanks to the flat phone.

But for none of his mob to not be here?

Did they all rely on Flynn to get them up?

Did they not go to school if Flynn didn't?

None of this felt right at all, and my stomach was squirming for Callie's sake.

Sensing my unease, Sara's hand found mine under the desk. Fingers lacing between mine, she gave me a gentle squeeze, causing me to look at her. Soft smile on her face, she mouthed 'I love you' at me, and that last bit of worry evaporated.

It can't be that bad.

Everything will be fine.

Callie and I have used up all of our bad luck with her leg and Jess. No way could anything else have happened.

And with that thought in my mind, I slipped my hand out of Sara's and immediately dived into editing my project once the teacher said we can hop onto the computers.

Callie was walking faster than I had ever seen her walk before towards the office as I exited my drama class and she left bio.

I waited for her outside the office door as she eventually exited, phone turning on in her hand.

I stood right by her side as the screen loaded.

And as we waited for texts to come through.

But the moments continued to drag with nothing.

"Maybe," I whispered, though not quite believing the words myself, "Maybe your phone is getting old and just needs some time to receive them. Put your phone away so you don't have to think about it."

Desperate to believe me, Callie put her phone in her pocket and we headed out to the front to join Sara in Noah's car.

As Callie took her usual spot in the front to be able to stretch out her leg and Sara and I climbed into the back, Noah's eyes trailed over my sister, the car still idling in the school carpark.

"I take things are going well with Flynn then," he said, amusement in his voice, gaze focussed on her neck.

But then Callie did the very thing he didn't expect... though Sara and I had been waiting for it.

She barked one cry. Then her body began to shake. And next we knew, the sobs came out in full force.

Noah flinched away from her, glancing back to us as if to say 'what did I do' and 'help me'.