62: Callie

Okay... THIS is the last chapter for the weekend.

Last week of school then I get two weeks holidays, so I'm going to try to finish this book then.

You'll probably love/hate the end of this chapter.

Enjoy

______

I didn't feel like I belonged in my skin.

The feeling of the fabric of my uniform shirt brushing over my chest as I got changed for school the next day brought back a wall of memories of his hands unwelcomingly burning into my skin.

Running the brush through my hair—the bristles cascading over over my scalp—sent shivers down my spine as I recalled how it felt to have his fingers knotted in my locks, holding me in place.

And looking at the makeup cluttered on my dresser that I normally applied every day made me feel sickened to the core. I didn't want to put in any effort. I didn't want to look nice. I didn't want anybody to look at me in that way ever again.

After mum dressed up my stump, we made a quick trip to the emergency ward to ensure there was nothing else we could do. The doctors advised using my chair until all the blisters had healed.

But that didn't bother me.

When I was in my chair, no one paid me any attention.

It would be just like old times.

Before the boys.

Before the heartache.

Before the claws that raked over me, stripping every essence of my being.

The chair would be a blessing.

Hair thrown together in a loose pony tale, uniform on, I wheeled my way down the hallway to join mum and Lexi in the living room.

Both gave me pitied stares, but thankfully didn't say anything as we headed out of the house. Mum gently helped me into the car, putting my wheelchair in the back for me before taking the driver's seat. And Lexi was already buckled into the back as we took off for school.

I was glad that Noah had graduated.

At least I wouldn't have to look at him anymore.

And I was also glad mum had called aunt Jojo last night to arrange for her to pick me up after school so that I wouldn't have to face Sara's family. While I held no ill feelings towards her... I didn't want to know what her parents would think of me or how they would treat me knowing...

Sara was already waiting by the school gate when mum dropped us off. And she was quick to fill us in.

"So the moment I got home," she started, even though I didn't ask, "I ran straight for his room and began beating him up. Like crazy woman fists pounding down on him style. Mum and dad came racing upstairs and pulled us apart. Noah tried to accuse you of 'leading him on' but the moment I started lashing out at him and mum and dad saw the evident guilt in his face... well... he's in so much trouble, Callie. Mum and dad are completely on your side and will be sure he pays for this."

"Thanks," I muttered. "But how can they—"

"Phone is confiscated. Laptop is confiscated. Car keys confiscated. Allowance ceased."

"But—"

"They also said if you want to press charges, then—"

"No." I pulled my chair to a stop as I turned to look up at her. "His life is already ruined so much by your parents and their expectations... he doesn't need a criminal charge affecting his future."