Negotiation

"Okay guys, today we'll be having a simple vocal range exercise," our vocal instructor, Kang Minsuk announces as the four of us settle down in the small, sound-treated vocal studio. His announcement earns groans of exasperation from each of us. "Now, now, guys. It's just another routine exercise. Should be simple, you guys have been doing this for months now."

A year to be exact. Today's the 16th of May, 2022, exactly one year since the day the four of us had first faced Hwang in her office and received our training contracts.

"Hey, Y/N, you mind telling Kang that I'll be in the washroom?" Taylor whispers to me, leaning in. The past months have seen a surprising improvement in our interactions. I use the term 'improvement' loosely, though; he calls me by my actual name and doesn't stare at me like he wants to murder me, at least. There's definitely still a lot of tension though, especially considering no one brings up what happened that one night last year at dinner with Blackpink. In fact, I don't think either of us have even apologised for that one night.

I nod in response, not making eye contact with him. He sneaks out of the room, managing to not be noticed by Kang, who's busy coaching Haejoon on the same range drill we've been doing for the past year.

The drill is interrupted by Kang's ringtone - a familiar tune I know all too well from Teddy's studio months ago. Apologising and excusing himself, Kang heads to leave the room to pick up the call, quickly halting the song that had been playing from his phone. It's the song I'd been featured on with Rosie - 'Someday'. Like Rosie mentioned some time ago, her solo EP had been cancelled, for whatever reason. But YGE did end up releasing Someday as a standalone digital single, and it's so far been received mostly positively. Not betting on winning any year-end awards this year, but those are rigged anyway.

"Well, that's awkward," Daniel comments on the song that had been Kang's ringtone. "Where's Taylor, by the way?"

"Washroom," I shrug as I reply.

With Kang gone for the time being, the three of us quickly end up taking advantage of the circumstances, each whipping out our phones. On mine, a text inevitably causes the corners of my mouth to curl up.

She is right; after we'd told each other how we'd felt about half a year ago, we've remained friends for the time being

She is right; after we'd told each other how we'd felt about half a year ago, we've remained friends for the time being. Though we have become much closer than before. I chalk it up to the fact that we're not nervous about how the other feels about us anymore, since we already know. Of course that does lead to many occasions of playful flirting from both ends. There are times that I wish we could be together for real instead of this in-between, but I guess this is the best we can do for the time being.

"Hey Y/N, you were in such a rush this morning you left this in the kitchen." Haejoon hands me a Ziplock bag containing the chicken sandwich I'd packed earlier for lunch.

"Oh, thanks hyung." I shrug sheepishly as I grab the sandwich from Haejoon.

"You sure you don't wanna come down to the cafeteria to join us today? It's been a while."