Audition

I check my watch as I move my guitar stand in front of a spot of empty wall in my room. It's 1.50pm. Only 40 minutes until my slot for the audition. I figure that the guitar stand would serve as a pleasant addition to the background of my video feed during the audition. Also, I'll be able to grab my guitar easily during the audition that way. As the afternoon sun shines into the room through the slots in the blinds, I grab hold of two of the legs of my desk and lift it just over the floor to bring it over to the empty wall. I position it in such a way that my laptop would be visible in the camera feed.

Since I'm auditioning using music production as my talent, I have to make sure that there's no way for the auditioners to assume that I'm faking it. So, I've decided to position my laptop with the software open behind me in the camera, so that it'll be obvious that the backing track is playing from my own project. From the laptop, I've connected my small speaker with an AUX cable via the USB interface; I don't trust the built-in speakers of my 7-year-old laptop.

Once my background is set up, I step into the attached bathroom in my room and check myself in the mirror. I'm wearing a black hoodie with a white logo on it (I'm not sure what it's for) and a pair of black slacks. The hoodie itself had been a gift from Janet for Valentine's Day; I usually wear it whenever I can, especially when it's cold. I take a moment to style my hair in front of the mirror, making sure to look presentable while not looking like the president of some Chess Club. After I'm done, I take a moment to look at my reflection in front of the plain white tiles of the bathroom wall before deciding that no matter what else I do, I'll still look more or less the same.

I walk back into my bedroom and pick up my phone from the desk which I'd moved. The display on the lockscreen shows the time, 2.20pm. 10 minutes left. I quickly leave a text for Janet before the audition.

 I quickly leave a text for Janet before the audition

I pace around the room for a moment. I hadn't expected to be so nervous about this. What if the auditioners don't accept my plan? What if my laptop crashes halfway? What if the Internet connection causes me to forfeit the audition? What if my voice cracks? No, stop worrying, Y/N. Worrying only causes more nervousness. I take in a deep breath as I try to calm my nerves. I look at my phone screen, hoping for a reply from Janet to ease my mind, but I don't get anything.

Taking in another deep breath, I bring my desk chair to a spot somewhere in the middle of my room and place my phone holder on top of it. I reopen the email that I'd received from YG two days ago and click the link to join the Zoom meeting before setting my phone onto the holder in an upright position.

As I'm let into the call, I make sure to turn my microphone and camera off. I don't know what exactly to expect yet; I've never joined any sort of audition, let alone an online one. In the meeting, there are a number of other participants, all with their cameras and mics off. They must be other participants of the audition, and this must be the 'waiting room' as mentioned by the email.

A message appears from the chat box with an alert tone. It's from 'YG Entertainment'. It tells all available participants to enter their details as specified in the email. At first, I forget what format the email had stated, and I can't check the email without difficulty now that my phone was in the call. Thankfully, I'm not the only participant in the call, so I wait for a couple of other participants to enter their information into the chat box before entering my own. I enter my name, birthday, phone number, email address, and chosen category, and then I wait.