Story

"Your facial expressions and emotion conveyance have improved. Good job," Lisa comments as I catch my breath.

During both of my monthly evaluations so far, Hwang picked specifically on my expression during my performance. The fact that I'd gotten straight As twice in a row already still surprises me, especially considering how blunt and icy Hwang's comment always was. I'd told Lisa about these comments, and she's been putting more focus into helping me convey the right mood and emotions in my dance movements and facial expressions. Something about getting into the zone. Needless to say, it was pretty easy for me to get into the mood of Wedding Dress by Taeyang for my Choreography. Well, I'm not exactly begging a girl not to marry another guy, but it's the same general mood, I guess.

We move on to my Performance song: Mmmh by Kai. Lisa had chosen this song because it apparently fits my style, according to her. I grab the mic from the stand in the corner of the training room and return to the centre as Lisa starts the backing track. During the run through, Lisa stares at me focused as if she's watching closely for any errors, as she usually does.

As the song ends, Lisa resumes her focused stare for a moment longer. Getting nervous, I mentally prepare myself for her inevitable criticism. My expectations are broken as her expression changes swiftly, a wide and toothy smile spreading across her face as she starts clapping lightly.

"Wow, perfect," Lisa says through her smile, shaking her head slowly.

"You're just saying that because you're worried about my feelings, aren't you?" I question, propping the mic back onto the stand.

"Y/N Jackson-ssi, if I didn't like it I would say so," Lisa retorts. "I'm not the type to sugarcoat my words. I would've thought you knew that already." I nearly shudder as I recall all the scoldings I'd received over the past couple of weeks. I consider taking a jab at her and questioning her variation in tone from nice to strict and back to nice over the past couple of months, but I think better of it. She did say she considered me a friend yesterday at her place, but she's still ultimately my mentor. Not to mention she's three years older than me, and I don't think we've known each other long enough for me to joke that casually with her.

"By the way, what's up with Jennie?" Jennie still hasn't replied to my text from last night; she hasn't even read it yet, which is pretty concerning. Usually she'd reply pretty quickly, even if I'm only texting about Haejoon or striking up a conversation. It's pretty surprising how different the vibe her texts give off are from her in person, but that's off-topic.

Lisa twists her lips in contemplation for a moment, but she visibly clenches her jaw slightly. "What are you talking about?"

I hesitate briefly; probably not a good idea to let her know that Haejoon had talked to us about Jennie. "Well, she just seemed a little off yesterday, that's all."

"Oh?" Lisa cocks an eyebrow up. "Did you meet Jennie yesterday?"

"I... I bumped into her after training yesterday." Great save, Y/N.

Lisa lets out a chuckle and walks closer to me. "Y/N Jackson, you were at my place during training yesterday, remember?" Dammit, Y/N.

"I..." I try to come up with a story but come up blank. Defeated, I let out a sigh and decide to come clean. "Haejoon told us last night that Jennie hadn't been herself yesterday."

Lisa's face seems to show interest, though I'm not sure if it's because of what I'd said, or the fact that Haejoon had said it. "Don't lie to me again, Y/N." She narrows her eyes sternly at me and pointing a finger in my face. I nod in response.

"Well, I was just wondering if you knew anything about that," I continue awkwardly. "I was just worried, that's all."

Lisa seems to contemplate something for a moment, looking around the room before returning her gaze to me. She subconsciously fiddles with the hem of her black crop top before gesturing for me to come closer, to which I oblige. The sweet scent of her perfume fills my nose as she moves her face mere inches away from mine, nearing my ear.