Roommates

I sit on a dusty blue seat at the boarding gate for our flight to Seoul. I silently cringe at the state of the chair, making a mental note to change my clothes and take a shower as soon as I get there. To the hotel, hostel, dorm, apartment, whatever YGE has prepared for us.

The boarding gate is filled with people sitting on other seats, anxiously waiting for the flight to board. Our parents had gotten us first class tickets to the flight, so we sit in the first class section, closest to the actual gate. Indistinct chatter fills the air, with the occasional sounds of bags being dragged and heels clicking on the marble floor as flight crews rush past the gate. Taylor sits on a seat to my left, leaving one empty seat in between us which he uses to place his duffle bag. We'd checked in all our bags as cargo besides his duffle bag and my blue backpack, which rests on my lap as I fiddle with my phone.

I check my boarding pass again. It says that the flight is scheduled for departure at 12.05pm, and we're expected to arrive around 11.50pm, Korean time, so that's about 11 hours in the air. I look back at my phone and check my Netflix downloads. Aside from the Blackpink documentary, I'd also downloaded a few episodes of the drama While You Were Sleeping; I've been curious about it and I plan to watch it on the flight as well. If I don't fall asleep like I usually do on long flights, that is.

I look at the time on the corner of my phone screen. It's 11.45am. We should be boarding soon. I leave a quick text to Janet, just in case I don't manage to text her before take off.

 I leave a quick text to Janet, just in case I don't manage to text her before take off

After I send the text, I close the messaging app. I don't expect her to reply anytime soon; she normally doesn't reply to me for hours, and that's if she even replies to me. Maybe what Jason said about cheating... No, don't think like that, Y/N. You need to trust her. She's just going through a lot, although she won't tell me.

I'm shaken from my mini internal battle when I hear the climbing vibraphone tone play out from the intercom, before a female voice addresses the crowd.

"Flight VA 365 to Incheon Airport, Seoul is now boarding. All passengers, please proceed to Gate D immediately."

As the woman at the intercom repeats the prompt, I get up and sling my backpack over my shoulder, holding my passport and boarding pass. Taylor gets up and slings his duffle bag over his shoulder as well, and we head towards the gate.

Since we're first class passengers, we're among the first to board, and barely have to wait in line at all. A young-looking stewardess in a fitting red suit and skirt grins widely at me as I hand her my boarding pass. She rips off part of the pass and hands it back to me. "Enjoy your flight," she says, still smiling from ear to ear.

I walk through the gate connecting the airport to the airplane, with Taylor following closely behind me. As we approach the door to the airplane, a male steward dressed in a neat black vest greets us warmly and gestures for us to take a left into the first class cabin.

The first class cabin looks almost like the inside of a private jet, although it doesn't come as a surprise as my parents usually vouch for first class whenever we travel. The seats, which look almost like armchairs, are arranged sparsely, with partitions placed between seats which are next to each other. I find my seat, one of the window seats, and open the stowage compartment above the seat to place my backpack before sitting. Taylor is seated in the seat in the middle row, right next to me. Sadly, I think to myself. Thank goodness for these partitions.