Chapter 7: A parting notice. (Part 3)

Start from the beginning

Kyle couldn't help chuckle, "Lillia already calls me weird but I understand. It's not like it has much to do with me."

"Right. Your job is to look after the children which means making lunch. Now how about we get a cup of tea before we-." A sudden ring resounded from the house entrance. "Or we could handle that first." She quickly tidied herself up. "Let's go Kyle."

"Me as well?"

She nodded, "You're an official caretaker. Sometimes we don't get the best guests but remember, the children come first."

"Of course," he stood up to follow her wondering just who it could be. From her grave expression and her words from before, there were some people who wanted to use the children more proactively.

Their concerns however weren't founded as waiting in the reception were Bethial and Reina.

The Captain nodded towards them, "Good afternoon." He looked to Kyle first, "Maila tells me you have been performing your duties admirably. Keep it up."

"Yes sir," Kyle saluted in reply.

Maila frowned as he looked to her, "I'm guessing you're not here for a simple visit and a cup of tea."

"I wish it was just that. Let's sit down first," the sturdy man sat on the nearby couch. Kyle and Reina followed suit with Maila being hesitant. "Reina the report please."

"Yes sir." As usual, the few times Kyle had seen her, Reina was being quite uptight. "This morning at 0600 a probable demon incursion was detected within the state of Elleneste. It was confirmed shortly after at 0900 to be located close by the mining town of Blackrock. The Eternal Hero and Guard will be deployed in 18 days to the sight. The Advanced Scouting Party shall depart in 16. Members will include, 1st Officer Bethial Vonteur, 2nd Officer Reina Montes, Petty Officer 1st Class Valandus Port, Special Officer Lillia and Special Officer Tai."

"Isn't this too soon?" Maila's grip tightened. "They just came back."

"I double checked myself," Bethial replied grimly. "It's unusual for an incursion to occur so soon after a Primarch's appearance but it is what it is. We are here to pick up Lillia and Tai for special training. They'll be busy from today onwards."

"But Tai just started his training with the Hero's Guard. He's not ready yet," Maila replied resolutely. "He's barely 15...."

"I've been told Tai's skills already eclipse even veteran members. He is still rough around the edges but he won't be out of place."

"That's not what this is about Bethial."

"Then what do you want me to do Maila?" the man's voice raised for a fraction of a moment. He calmed himself, eyes weary, "We've been through this many times now. The Hero must have a candidate close by if the worse is to happen. If not Tai then who? The next oldest is Himila, is she more prepared than Tai?"

Maila's firm expression wavered, "You're right. There's no sense in me trying to stop this is there?" Her eyes flicked back towards Bethial's, "But you know what that means."

"I'll keep them away," the Captain nodded.

As the conversation dyed down Kyle sat silently. Neither side wanted to have the children sacrificed but neither could stop it. The most they could do was play their cards as best they could. For Kyle each of their words continued to remind him of the empty graves past the Garden's boundary. Some 3 months apart, most more but also a few less.

He squared himself and faced the two Officers before him, "What can I do to help?"

The Captain's expression became apologetic, "I do like your determination Kyle but there isn't much you can do. From here on only those of us with proper combat training will be of much use. Your job here as a caretaker however is still of the utmost importance."

"I can't go with you can I?"

"No," his reply was blunt. "It would be a shame to risk your life." Seeing Kyle's gloom Bethial continued, "Regardless these past two weeks have proved your worth. Your hand please."

Kyle did as he was asked and put forward his hand only to feel a sharp prick as the Captain touched it. A bead of blood flowed from his finger, the Captain pressed it against a key.

"This is the key to the Garden. From this point onwards you have been given permission to enter and exit as long as you remain within the enclosed area governed by the Council and Hero's Guard. This includes the training grounds and the like."

"Thank you," Kyle took the key with mixed feelings. He had made a step forward but also came to a halt.

"If you'd like to visit the city itself, you'll need to file for formal leave. As long as you don't sneak away with Valandus again they'll be no problems." While his words sounded like a joke there was a serious undertone as well.

"Then... if I can leave here. Is it alright if I keep an eye on Tai and Lillia once in a while? I promise not to get in the way. I just want to be there if they need anything."

Reina began to answer him, "You may visit Tai in the main training hall however, in your position we cannot allow you to see Lillia. Only confirmed individuals ma-."

Bethial interjected, "Perhaps I can do something about that."

"Captain that's-."

"Something that depends on Lillia more than anyone else," he gazed at the 2nd Officer firmly. "Kyle already knows more about the Hero system than anyone can say. Witnessing Lillia's training would be a simple addition."

"Thank you," it wasn't Kyle but Maila who spoke. There was a tenderness in her voice that he couldn't quite understand.

"It's the least I could do. Training with the Hero's armour is exhausting. Perhaps a kind face could lift her spirits." He stood up and Reina followed, "I'll be taking Lillia and Tai with me."

"Please look after them," Maila rose from her seat as well.

"To the best of my ability."

Kyle made a decision and stood, "Captain if I may, I'd like to know more about the past battles the Hero's had to go through. If I am to care for the children I want to know what we'll be putting them through."

Bethial looked at him respectfully and nodded, "Melissa holds many of the archived reports in the office connected to the Garden passage."

"Thank you," Kyle bowed his head. In the end he could only make take a small step, but a step was still a step.