90

So, they are definitely not going on a camping trip together anytime soon but at least my mother started making conversation with Bucky like he's a normal person and not like the devil's spawn. I don't know if she genuinely cared about everything she asked him for, or if she just pretended to in order to be supportive but nevertheless, I appreciate it.

She even took his hand when he offered it to her as she was walking down the stairs of the restaurant. Slow steps. But steps regardless.

"Now," I lean against Bucky, "what did my dad and you talk about when I went to the restroom with Lola?" We all parted a few minutes ago. My siblings and parents took the cab to their hotel room, and Gen and aunt Dana took another one. Bucky and I decided to work to his apartment since it's not too far away. It's become quite a regular thing. This is the third time I slept at his place this week and it's only Friday. I'll probably spend the rest of the weekend there. I like it though. Most of my clothes are there and I get to wake up with him and sleep with him every night which is perfect.

"Wouldn't you like to know?"

"Tell me. I am curious." I beg and get closer to him to absorb his warmth. It's chilly in New York even though it's only late august. Fine by me though. It gives me an excuse to be closer to him.

"You told me he's a Yankee's fan and since there's a match tomorrow, I got some tickets and asked him if he wanted to come with me and Sam."

I stop walking. "You're not a Yankee's fan. You don't even like baseball that much but when you talk about it you bash the Yankee's and say that the Red Sox are better."

"They are. But your dad doesn't have to know that."

"You're not seriously pretending to like a whole different baseball team just to make a good impression on my dad. That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard. It's also the cutest."

"You think he likes me?"

I grab his cheeks. "Of course he does. Why wouldn't he? You've been perfect tonight. Thank you. And thank you for keeping your cool with my mom. I know she said some pretty hurtful shit back there."

"What did you tell her in the bathroom that made her less... her?"

I shrug and keep walking again. "Stuff."

"What stuff?"

"The usual. I told her that I loved you and all."

"And all?"

"I told her that I understand why she's scared. You know, the whole her getting married and pregnant at an early age and having to give up on her dreams - thing. But I explained her that when we thought I was pregnant, you reacted perfectly and that you would never stop me from fulfilling my dreams."

"You told her about the pregnancy scare?"

"Yes."

"And she didn't rip your head off?"

I laugh, "No. But I wish she did. I can't believe I told my mother that I had unprotected sex. I must've lost my mind."

"You lost your mind an eternity ago when you fell in love with me."

"There's no denying that." I laugh. "I think we should buy a puppy."

"A puppy?"

"Yes, I think it would be cute. It would be like a child. Since you seem to be so bummed about me not being pregnant and everything." I'm really not a dogs person, though. But anything for him.

"I don't like dogs that much."

"You don't?" I sigh in relief. "Good, neither do I. But you like cats, right?"

"Love them."

"Then we should buy a cat." I decide and look around me. Grabbing his hand, I run towards the store I was looking for. "Come on."

"Where are we going?"

I don't answer his question, instead I greet the man who's already closing up the store.

"Sorry, miss, we're almost closed."

"You're closes at ten. It's nine-ninety-five." I point at the clock on the wall. "We'll be quick." I assure him. He nods understandingly and steps aside so we can enter the pet store.

"Isla, I thought you were joking. We're not buying a cat."

"Why not?" I ask. "Cats are cute. And they're easier to take care of than dogs. And they're cute. Did I mention that having animals can help one improve their social skills? And did I mention that they are cute? Oh my God, look!" I point at the section where the kittens are. "Bucky, look how adorable they are."

I gently pet a few of them, almost dying of adoration when the other ones walk in my direction as well. "I like this one." I say and point at a black kitten who's been licking my hand the whole time. "What do you think?"

"You're serious about this?"

I nod. It's impulsive and I am aware that I will probably regret it in at least a day, but right now I am feeling nothing but happy. Introducing Bucky to my parents, kind of reconciling with my mom, and my family liking my boyfriend, made this day perfect and I want to continue making it even more perfect.

"Do you like the black one?" I watch as he takes a step closer and smiles at the kittens.

"Yeah, it's cute but..." His eyes scan the room, and when he spots something in the corner, his eyes fixate on it. "What about her?"

I follow his gaze. He's staring at a white cat. She seems really young and as far as I can tell from the distance she has blue eyes. "Oh my god, Buck. She has the exact same eye colour as you."

Other than the other cats, the white kitten didn't immediately run to me when I stepped near the glass and started petting them. Bucky is hesitant at first, but then he lowers his hand and waits a few seconds. The kitten slowly walks towards him and carefully lets him touch her. After a while however she gets comfortable and licks his hand. A small smile is plastered on his face as he watches the sweet creature.

"Have you found anything?" The owner of the store walks in on us.

"Yeah, we will take her." I reply and nudge my head to the cat's direction.

"Oh, she's actually new. I wouldn't recommend it. She's still shy and not quite social."

"It's okay," I say, "I have a thing for shy anti-socials."

Bucky smirks at me and continues to play with the cat. "Does she have a name?"

"My granddaughter named her Alpine but obviously you can choose whatever name you want." The old man laughs.

"I like that name." Bucky looks at me, almost as if he wants my approval. I lean my head against his shoulder and smile at the owner.

"We'll take her." I repeat.

-
A/N: I AM BACK!!
Sorry for going MIA for two months. I promise that I'll be back and give you guys the best last ten chapters of this entire book.

I didn't write 90 chapters just to stop at the last ten.
So buckle up and get ready because there's still a lot to come.