44

Isla's POV

I think the law system is trash. Absolute trash. Who even decided that murder is wrong? I mean it. There should be exceptions. And not just self defence.

There should be a law that allows daughters to kill their mothers when they have been criticising your entire existence for the past hour. It's almost as if she had a list ready.

First I will criticise the way she dressed today. Because how dare she show up in yoga pants. How dare she not show up in a met gala worthy prom after driving her for hours.
Next on the list. Her weight. Should I maybe not mention it considering that she had heavy body dysmorphia about it when she was younger? Nah. That'd be the right thing to do and God forbid I ever did the right thing.

"Mom, give her a break. She just arrived." My brother saves me from my mother. She turns her head to aunt Dana who's been helping my dad in the kitchen, doing everything in her power to ignore my mom. Can't blame her. "It's crazy how she runs away from me like she's some seventeen year old. She is a mother and is in her fourties' yet she's still not able to face her problems."

"Mom!" I warn her. "Do not talk to her unless you have something nice to say. It's her first time back in over twenty years and you will not ruin her Christmas just because you feel the need to ruin everything else."

"You are lucky that I am in a good mood, young lady or else you wouldn't have been allowed out of your room unless New Years."

Good mood? Yeah, we can tell. "Speaking of New Years. Mom, I won't spend New Year's Eve here."

"Nonsense. Of course you will. Where else would you go?"

"New York. I never told you I'd spend it here. I told you that I'd be back home over Christmas. That's it. I promised friends of mine to spend it them. So I will leave after the second day of Christmas." I lie.

"What are you talking about? No, you won't. You can spend the whole year with your friends but you will stay here and spend New Year's eve with your family. End of discussion."

I scoff. "You can't force me anymore. I am turning twenty in a few weeks. I am an adult!"

"Adult? You? Please." She starts laughing hysterically. "Just because you live on your own doesn't mean you're an adult. You're playing house. You're think you know everything. Well, you don't. I am your mother and I am telling you that you're not going anywhere."

"Honey, what is going on in here?" My dad asks when he enters the living room with my aunt and cousin.

"You're unbelievable, mom. Unbelievable! This is why no one wants to be with you! This is why your own sister didn't come home for twenty years. This is why I would much rather spend my New Year's Eve with a-," Careful, Isla. "a friend. A friend I've only known for a few months than my own mother."

"Enough! Go to your room! Right now!"

I lower my voice. She has no power over me. "What if I won't? What will you do?"

"Hank. Get her out of my sight. Right now! Or else I'll do something that I'll regret."

"No need, dad. It's not like I wanted to stay here anyway." I grab my phone and my dad's car keys from the table and storm out. I hear someone running after me but don't even bother to check who it is before saying, "No. Please not right now."

I get into the car and drive. I have no idea where to. If I had a bit more of a strong will against my mother I would just drive back to New York. I'd go to Bucky. I'd hug him. Kiss him. Tell him everything. He'd tell me something really mature and grown up. Then he'd make me laugh. Then we'd kiss again. And then he'd ask me to spend Christmas with his family. Or maybe he'd just say that we can stay in and be on our own. That would be nice.
But sadly, I am a fucking coward who doesn't dare to actually do what she wants when her mother is involved.