33

Isla's POV

Three weeks.
It's been officially two weeks since I've seen James the last time. And yes, we're back to James. Because he himself said that only his friends call him Bucky and after that one night I am more than certain that that is something we are not. At least I've been able to focus on important things like school or work. We recently started hanging out with Adrian and the others again so that's a great distraction as well.

But I'd be lying if I said that he isn't on my mind 24/7. I am constantly worried about bumping into him which is, given the circumstances of us being neighbours, quite possible. I try to stay out longer than ten or rush home so I'm there before ten. I avoid going to Dana's when I am not working even though Gen told me that he wasn't there in about a month.

In the last three weeks I visited the rooftop though. Around eight times. Nine, if we count right now. Gen doesn't know about it, or else she'd kill me and tell me about her magical five steps plan again and about how I am ruining my process of healing but I can't help it. There's just something comforting here that makes it impossible for me to stay away.

I have to be home in around half an hour to get ready to go to this halloween party in downtown. Supposedly it's top secret club that no one knows about but one quick search on Twitter proved the opposite. Still, it's a fancy place so I want to look good. Even though I don't feel like partying right now, I let Gen convince me. I didn't go clubbing since that first night after our fight.

My phone buzzes and I read Orla's message.
»Hyped for 2night, what u dressing up as?«

I send a picture of the costume I took a couple of days ago when I tried it on in a small boutique. It's nothing fancy, really. I am going as an Angel. But a black one. A little twist to make it less basic.

Orla: »Girl, that's fucking hot. Literally questioning my sexuality right now.«

I chuckle and cross my arms. It's cold up here which makes sense considering it's almost November. I ask her about her costume and when she sends me a picture I can't figure it out. She's wearing a black leather suit.

»Are you going as an escort? Or a domina?«

Orla: »Guess again.«

»Harry Styles' 2021 Grammy look?«

Orla: »Nope. Black Widow.«

I raise my brow. »The Spider?«

Orla: »The superhero. You know? Black Widow? Natasha Romanoff? The hot assassin who fought with Captain America? She's an Avenger. May she rest in peace«

I think I heard about her. She was constantly on the news a couple of years ago when she was on the run after she betrayed the government or something. I'm not quite sure since I don't really care about that whole superhero thing.

»Oh.«

Orla: »We are doing a group costume with a couple of friends who'll join us tonight.«

»I wouldn't really consider her creepy though.«

Orla: »Halloween stopped being about creepy costumes the year Playboy bunnies started roaming the streets on October the 31st.«

She does have a point. I look at my watch and realise I need to get going if I want to have enough time to get dressed and do my makeup. After glancing at the rooftop one last time I start walking down the stairs.

I wonder how he's doing. I know I shouldn't care but I do. Sometimes I think I hear him screaming in the middle of the night. Part of me wants to walk across the hallway and ask him if he needs help but I'm sure his girlfriend has that covered. As for her, I haven't seen her. I don't know what I expected since I am the one avoiding him at all cost so it only makes sense that I never crossed paths with her but I still kind of hoped to see her. Just to know who she is. If she's pretty. I assume she is. And her character must be great to if she pulled-