Bucky

Bucky

Time passes slowly on the boat. I don't have much to do other than eat, watch over Angelina, and try to sleep. Most nights I don't get more than an hour of sleep. And when I do sleep, all I see are memories and nightmares. The captain's kid gave me a little notebook one day. He didn't say anything, just handed it to me and walked away. He doesn't talk much, but he's always around. He follows me around whenever I leave the room.

There's the typical knock on the door. I opened it and the captain's wife is there with her bag as usual.

"Has she woken up at all?" she questioned before entering the room.

"No."

She frowned but went over to Angelina. I leave like usual. I locked the door and sat across from it. The captain came below deck whistling. He paused when he saw me.

"We should reach a secluded port off the northern coast in a week," he stated.

I nodded turning back to watch the door. He didn't leave for a moment. I looked back at him expectantly. He had a strange calculating look on his face. But he didn't say anything and just turned and left.

Eliza

I had just finished up when a soft groan filled the room. Angelina's eyes opened slowly. She stared at the ceiling for a moment before turning her head to look at me.

"How long was I out?" she asked, her voice hoarse from lack of use.

"Almost a week. Most of your body's completely healed. I'd take it easy though because of your hips," I answered.

She nodded. I went to the door and knocked. The Soldier opened it looking a bit surprised.

"She's awake. I'm going to get her something to eat," I told him.

He nodded looking unsure of himself. I raised an eyebrow with a frown.

"Can I see her?" he asked.

I blinked in surprise at his question. He kept his gaze on the ground almost in a timid manner.

"Y-yea, yes," I nodded recovering from my shock.

I went to the kitchen as he went into the room. I made a small bowl of soup knowing the poor girl probably couldn't handle too much food after not eating for so long. When I came back to the room, the door was cracked open just wide enough for me to see inside. Angelina was sitting up on the bed wrapped in a blanket, the Soldier standing in between her legs looking down at her. The two seemed to be lost in their own little world just staring at each other. Both had little smiles on their faces. I cleared my throat to get their attention. He turned looking tense and guarded again.

"Here. Don't eat too fast or you might make yourself sick," I said gently handing her the bowl.

She nodded and smiled a small thanks. I left them alone shutting the door behind me. I headed back up to the top deck where Michael and Kel were playing cards. They both looked up when I walked over.

"You were right," I breathed shaking my head with a small smile.

Michael smiled back at me. Kel frowned his little brow furrowing.

"About what?"

"You know, kiddo, your daddy's got a special gift for seeing people for what they really are. And I hope one day you'll have the same gift," I stated leaning down and kissing my husband's cheek, "It's something real special that's for sure."

Angelina

When the woman had left the room, I sat up slowly trying to be careful as she'd said. Shuffling feet brought my attention to the door. I tensed frowning at the sight of the Soldier. He kept his distance just watching me for a moment.

"Which one are you?" I questioned.

His eyes dropped to the floor and he shuffled back and forth awkwardly.

"You love to dance. You used to be a lightweight. And you love stars," he said in a soft voice, "Your hair used to be more blonde and your eyes sky blue instead of vibrant. You never take off the locket."

I bit my lip holding back a smile. He raised his head finally and a look of relief washed over his face when he saw I was trying not to smile at him. He walked over slowly as if not to startle me. I reached out and he took my hand gently. Before he could object, I yanked him closer causing him to stumble a bit over his own feet. A small laugh left my lips.

"Bucky," I whispered looking up at him.

He smiled down at me cupping my face gently with his hand. I winced a bit when his thumb brushed a still healing bruise.

"I'm so sorry, doll," he murmured his face falling, "I hurt you...I- I'm so sorry."

"It wasn't you," I said gently putting my hand over his, "I know that wasn't you. You had no way of knowing who I was or what was going on. You only knew the lies they'd told you. It's over now. You don't have to apologize."

I shivered a little as a draft blew through the room. He pulled the blanket off his bed and wrapped it around my shoulders. I smiled looking up again into his beautiful blue eyes. I never wanted to take my eyes off them again. We both turned, however, at the sound of someone clearing their throat. The lady who'd been taking care of me, Eliza I think she said, was standing there with a small bowl in her hands. She handed it to me carefully warning me to take my time so I didn't make myself sick. Then she left.

Bucky took the bowl from my hands. I gave him a confused look to which he simply smiled. He picked up the spoon and held it up. I laughed softly taking the hint and opening my mouth. We continued like that until the bowl was empty. He set the bowl down on the floor.

"You need to get some more rest," he said gently.

I nodded laying back down on the bed. He started to walk away but I grabbed his hand. He paused and turned back around with a confused look on his face.

"I've had to sleep alone for too long. You better come lay beside me," I snapped playfully.

He chuckled shaking his head before coming back and laying on the bed. His arms moved around my waist carefully as I laid my head on his chest. I took a deep breath savoring the feeling of him holding me again. I felt his lips brush the crown of my head.

"Sleep, Angel," he breathed.

I smiled closing my eyes and drifting off to asleep immediately. And for the first time since Steve and I had been defrosted, I had no nightmares.