Just A Friend

Any event the two of you attended together garnered plenty of media attention, and tonight was no different as you both were nominated for awards at the MAMAs, meaning plenty of cameras waiting to greet you.

You always hung back slightly from the rest of the boys as you walked the red carpet, one step behind them as you walked along the interview line, but that never stopped you having one ear on the things they were saying too.

"Congratulations on your nominations," you heard a man say behind a camera as you waited for your next interview to start, "and Yoongi, you must be happy to see Y/N nominated too."

His head slowly nodded, as you glanced across at him. Whenever your name was mentioned he always got anxious on camera, he was terrified of saying or doing the wrong thing and jeopardising either of your careers.

"I've seen how hard she's been working, so I know better than most that her nominations are fully deserved tonight," he added, feeling the support of the boys around him. "She's a close friend, so any success she has makes me very proud."

"Oh, the two of you are friends?"

You couldn't help but flinch as you tuned back into the conversation, snapping your head around to look at him. As soon as he realised what he'd said he could feel your eyes staring across at him, knowing how hard the boys were trying to, biting their tongues even though they were desperate to interject at that moment.

"We get on," he quickly clarified, feeling his heart race. "Tonight, is about the music though, nothing else."

You felt your stomach drop at the lack of attempt he made to resolve the situation. Namjoon's eyes quickly glanced across at you during a break in the questioning, smiling softly by way of an apology. There was nothing that could be rectified now, your place in Yoongi's life had been made clear.

You refused to acknowledge him for the rest of the interviews, keeping a closer ear in their conversations to make sure he didn't make another mistake. Each word you spoke as you were questioned hurt, as you fought back the tears that threatened to spill.

"Y/N," he whispered once you'd finally finished talking to the media, but your figure brushed straight past his before he could attempt to reach out and stop you.

As he glanced around at his six best friends for a bit of support, they all stood back too. They knew how big of a mistake he'd made and how much it had hurt you to hear him disregard your relationship and label you as a friend.

"I know I've messed up," he sighed, kicking his feet against the ground, "but surely you guys can try and help me fix this situation again."

Whilst he knew it might take a lot for him to make things right, he was desperate to fix it. As soon as he said it he knew how wrong he was, but he just couldn't bring himself to change his mind on camera, it was one of the few lessons he'd learnt over the years.

"You said she was just a friend," Jin reminded him, as if he didn't already know. "You're probably best just giving her some space for now. Like you said, tonight is about the music, not your relationship, or friendship."

He knew he deserved the beating down from them all, but it didn't make him feel any better. How could he enjoy tonight when he knew he'd upset you? He couldn't sit back and do nothing when tonight was such an important night for you.

"I need to find her."

"Do you really think that's the best idea right now?"

"What other choice do I have? I just need to try and make things right."

Before he could listen to another argument from any of the boys, he began to make his way through the crowd to try and find you. It didn't take him long before he found you already sat at your table with a glass of champagne being held tightly in your hand.

"Can I sit down?" He whispered as he stood beside you, resting his hand over the back of the spare chair beside you. "I know what I did was wrong, but please just let me talk to you, I can't enjoy tonight knowing we're not at least speaking."

You continued to stare forwards as he made the decision to sit himself down regardless, pulling his chair so he was sat as close to you as he could be.

"I'm sorry for saying you were my friend, I just panicked," he frowned, resting his head into his hand against the table, trying to lean around to find your eyes. "Please just at least try and accept my apology, I really want to make this situation right."

Your head slowly turned to face him, as you bit down hard on your lip to start your emotions from showing. No words could tell him how hurt you were, it was a situation that he'd never truly understand.

"I just want to know how you feel," he sighed, "please."

"I feel like I've just been kicked to the curb, like I'm nothing to you."

"That's not true," he quickly argued, "you're everything to me, which is why I'm here. There's a lot I should have done better, and I can't change that now, but I want to move forwards now and make it right again.

Selfishly your mind thought straight of your reputation, when you'd spent weeks in the headlines as Yoongi's girlfriend, now you were going to look like the fool who had got it all wrong. You were the one who was going to wear the target on your back for just being a friend.

It didn't matter how many times Yoongi wanted to apologise, you knew the headlines were going to be making themselves already, you were too scared to check your phone, or to even stand up and work the room out of fear of one remark.

To most it was an easy mistake to make, but when you were trusted to live the perfect life of an idol, situations like this could easily be big enough to send your career crashing down.

"Please, just go Yoongi. I want to try and enjoy the rest of my night as best as I can, and you being here right now just isn't helping," you sighed, turning away from him again. It took a few moments, but eventually his chair moved back.

"Just know that I'm sorry Y/N."

He hoped for just a sign from you, but he was met with nothing as he reluctantly walked back to the boys, preparing to listen to yet another lecture on the mistake he'd made.

His eyes had been on you the entire night as you sat back throughout the awards show. Not even when your category was announced did you perk up, but Yoongi certainly did, sitting up hopefully at the table.

He watched carefully as the winner's card was opened, and the MC took a step towards the microphone, feeling his heart pound in his chest. "And the winner of female artist of the year is.... Y/N, congratulations!"

As soon as he heard your name be read out, he jumped up onto his feet and walked around the table, ignoring the shouts of the boys to sit back down. He grabbed one of the cameramen and pulled him with him, straight over to your table.

Your hands grabbed the material of your dress as you began to walk towards the stage, stopped only a few moments later by a presence in front of you.

You followed the suit up until you met Yoongi's face, feeling his hands grab either side of your face and quickly pull you in for a kiss. It took you a moment to react before pushing him away, struggling to catch your breath.

"What are you doing!" You scolded, taking note of the camera beside you both.

"I wasn't really sure how I could make this right, but at least now the whole world will know you're my girlfriend, not just my friend. I was an idiot, and I'm sorry. Hopefully, you'll find the time to forgive me for being an idiot."

Your head shook, resting your hands against his chest, "I forgive you, how can I not when you've just kissed me on national television?"

"Well, I thought it might do the trick."