Falling In Love With Christmas

The two of you sighed in relief as you made your way out of the store, running quickly to the car to get out of the crowds and make your way back home.

"Leaving the baking until four days before Christmas was not the best idea," you chuckled, placing the bags of ingredients down in front of you, "we are never doing that again!"

"Agreed," Yoongi smiled beside you.

The both of you had completely underestimated how busy the shops would be in the run up to Christmas, plenty of people shoving and arguing to get all the things they needed to make sure their Christmases were perfect.

You barely had time to catch your breath until you sat back in the car, staring out of the window at all the decorations hung up in the windows of the houses as Yoongi drove the two of you back to his house.

"Hello, you two," a voice chimed as you climbed out of the car, glancing across you smiled widely at your next-door neighbour who was adding the finishing touches to her annual garden display. "I hope you'll save some of them for me!"

"Of course! We always do!" You replied.

Yoongi stood back as the two of you spoke, filling each other in on your plans, taking in what an effort, she'd made in creating such a beautiful display on the front of her house.

"I have some spare lights if the two of you will make use of them?"

You glanced back at Yoongi who simply shrugged his shoulders, very little about Christmas excited him the way it did you, but seeing how your face lit up at the idea, he couldn't say no to finding somewhere to place them as you were handed them across the fence.

He was already inside as you finally walked in, resting your hands against the radiator to try and warm yourself back up after being stood out in the cold for so long, handing him the bag of ingredients to organise.

"There's a recipe in the book on the shelf for the gingerbread biscuits, can you find it?" You asked him, changing out of your boots into your fluffy socks.

An apron was placed around you as soon as you walked into the kitchen, hands grabbing the ribbons to tie it loosely around you, fitting around your body.

Your eyes lit up as you saw the matching one of the set tied around Yoongi's waist, his expression wasn't thrilled, but as always you appreciated the effort he went to, to put a smile on your face.

"First thing is weighing the sugar and butter," you read out, standing back, and allowing him to take control of the job.

Any excuse to bake or cook put a smile on his face, but having heard so many good things about your gingerbreads from your family there was no way Yoongi was going to let this Christmas go without trying them for himself.

Whilst he watched the scale precisely, making sure he wasn't a single gram over, you crept up behind him, wrapping your arms around his waist. "I'm so excited we get to do all these things together," you whispered, "I love doing Christmas with you."

"I'm trying to concentrate," he scolded, but as your arms went to move away, he pulled them back around him, enjoying the feeling of having you so close to him.

Throughout the week that the two of you had spent together, Yoongi continued to be surprised at how excited you were, how your face would light up at the simplest of things, and how much you really loved Christmas.

You couldn't help but chuckle as your body shook from him creaming the butter and sugar together, every movement exaggerated as more of a giggle came from you, bringing the widest smile onto Yoongi's face.

"Eggs," he hummed once he was satisfied.

You untangled yourself from around him to grab two eggs from the fridge, throwing them at him, cheering as he caught both of them easily, tapping them against the side of the bowl, making sure to not get any shell in the mixture.

Once that was complete, he added the ginger, the most important of ingredients, bringing the spoon under your nose so you could bask in the smell, it really did represent Christmas to you so well.

Yoongi then allowed himself to enjoy the smell before adding it to the bowl, picking up the mixing spoon and passing it to you.

"I'm exhausted, it's about time you did this," he chuckled, placing the bowl in front of you. "It's not up to me to do all the hard work for this."

You gladly took the spoon, mixing it all together as Yoongi once again stood back, studying you closely as you hummed along to whichever Christmas song popped into your head.

"It's a good song that one."

It didn't take long before he was singing along with you around the kitchen, making the job a lot more fun for you both. Even songs were usually something he didn't take much pleasure from, but this year he couldn't get enough of them.

"You really love Christmas, don't you?" He asked, taking you by surprise as your song came to an end. Your eyes looked in his direction, nodding your head as he leant against the counter.

"I really do, it's just so magical and beautiful."

His eyes followed everything you did as you added the flour and then began to roll out the batter, every little thing you did was done with a smile on your face, nothing during the Christmas period could wipe away your smile.

You were the exact representation of everything Yoongi usually wasn't, but being around you and enjoying the things you did was like a festive firework in Yoongi's heart, as he finally began to understand the magic they called Christmas.

"It smells amazing," he complimented, giving you a helping hand as you began to line all your baking trays with the cut outs you had taken from the dough.

"Let's hope they taste as good as they look."

He didn't doubt it for a second, everything you did always worked out so well.

"It's Christmas, it's impossible for them to taste bad," he absentmindedly spoke, staring back at you as your eyes glared at him.

"You're awfully cheerful, it's unlike you."

His head nodded, walking around the kitchen counter, wrapping you up in his arms, his own little Christmas present, everything that he'd wanted. Each time he looked your eyes were on the oven making him smile.

Never could he have imagined that he'd value and appreciate Christmas so much but being with his loved one made him realise just how much the time should be treasured.

"I don't know what you've done to me this year, but you've triggered some sort of festive magic in me that I never knew I had," he told you.

You didn't want to say it, but you'd noticed the change in him too, he was scared to fall in love with Christmas, but now more than ever he loved it, and with that, he'd fallen more in love with you.

You reached up on your tiptoes, pressing a kiss to the tip of his nose. "I'm glad you're enjoying Christmas, because there's no one else I'd want to spend this time with, I love it being the two of us here."

"Me too, it really feels magical," he mumbled into the top of your head.

A few minutes later, the beep of the oven pulled you both apart, the smell of your gingerbreads engulfed you both, Yoongi pushed you aside as he carefully pulled them out of the oven, placing them on the side.

"See, beautiful," he smiled, admiring your handy work.

"I couldn't have done it without you," you responded, picking up one of them and breaking it in half, passing it across to him. "We did a good job, together."

"We really do make quite the Christmas team."