EPILOGUE (Iselen POV)

Start from the beginning

"Yes, that would wake up a zombie, definitely... Fuck, it's cold!" He cries and Ruby bursts into laughing all of a sudden, standing behind me, her cheeks are still stained with tears but she's not hugging Katia desperately anymore.

"You're crazy, brother, but we love you like that," my girl laughs nonstop and, one by one, my sisters copy her, laughing while looking at Lester who's soaked from head to toe. "Goddess, I'm so tired and hungry."

"I knew it, I knew you were going to spend lot of energy today," Katia smiles and points at the couch. "Why don't you sit down with Iselen while I heat up the beef casserole? I also have roasted potatoes and homemade bread I baked this afternoon. Elvira and Kanti will help me and Lester, change your clothes and try to fix the back door that those stupid witches broke while your sisters dry this floor." I flop down on the couch without complaint because my legs feel weak, my girl follows me meekly not caring about her mother bossing her own coven around and the cats jump to our laps immediately.

"Are you all right, babe?" Ruby puts her arm over my shoulders and pulls me closer to her body.

"Yes, tired and hungry too... I'm sorry for your loss," I whisper and she frowns, confused. "It's pretty obvious you loved Sarah."

"Not as much as I love you," she answers immediately and my guts get relaxed after hearing her, I didn't even notice that I was tense. "She was a good girl, sweet and funny, and had her whole life ahead of her... I think this is what bothers me, you know. The lost opportunities... Sarah won't get married, won't have children, a successful professional career, parties with friends, good memories with her family, holidays on the beach... She was very special and had a lot of potential, she could've done wonderful things in this world. They took all those opportunities from her and it's not fair."

"I understand it. Tävibo and Miss Yangyang had lived long lives full of good memories but Sarah was too young. You're right, it's unfair... But this is the way Mother Nature works. Do you know that the universe is a sleeping lion?" Ruby shakes her head, puzzled. "My grandma always used to say that... The lion is sleeping and we all walk past him unharmed but one day he wakes up, stretches his limbs and you... Obviously, reckless people that tug at his whiskers while he's sleeping have a better chance of feeling the claws than those who walk on tiptoes, quietly and carefully... But if the lion wakes up suddenly... anyone can suffer the consequences."

"Sarah was walking past the lion when he woke up..." Ruby whispers and I nod.

"That's true, it can happen to anyone, at any time... and there's no logical explanation. When shit hits the fan, sometimes people ask why that's happening to them and my grandmother answered... Why not? It's just destiny... Like a lottery ticket, your number is printed there and you're a millionaire suddenly."

"Bad things can happen to good people and it's not my fault, is that what you mean?" my girl asks confused.

"Yes, and that's why you should live everyday trying to be happy, spending time with people you love, creating good memories, learning new and interesting things, going to the park and watching kids playing with dogs, eating an ice cream and kissing a pretty girl..." I whisper leaning forward to graze Ruby's lips with my mouth. "When the lion wakes up and takes a swipe at me, I will have lived intensely and won't regret a single experience..."

"Sounds like a good plan, babe. Thanks for the advice..."

"Food is ready!"

*****

Two months later...