be enlightened

"Want to go out and eat with us after school?" Becca's head turned to me.

My head popped up, "Us?" I went back to working on my French assignment.

Becca spun around in the chair and I grabbed it from spinning anymore. She was bored and I could tell. She sighed and sat up leaning in trying to see if I was close to being done. "Me and Paige of course. We asked River and Marshall but they have some football thing. I figured we could go after practice?"

"Sounds good," I replied.

I have had my head in books lately or in the streets fighting aliens. And the rare occasion seeing Landon and Victoria watching over protests and such.

I was getting ahead in my classes so I didn't have to worry about homework at home if something was to happen or if I needed to skip class to stop an alien.

Which has happened once or twice and even Marshall would skip class at the same time to cover me.

We both had a routine, he was staying at the safe house and I would go after school and hang out with him for a bit.

We would sit and look through old stuff that was my parents. One of us would grab dinner and we would sit and eat together. The past two weekends since he found out I stayed with him.

We hadn't tried doing another family dinner since the last one.

Victoria had been keeping in contact with me along with Landon but no one dared to step foot back into the house.

Asher I did try to text but he never texted me back. I felt bad for him, he was really hurt and I'm sure whatever he has going on with Becca at the moment didn't make anything better.

The bell rang and it was time for us to go out to practice. Becca was filled with energy and she was racing out to the field. She was cheer captain this year and which meant if we started an early practice we could leave early.

We put on our uniforms and raced down to the field. Paige was falling far behind me and Becca.

"Is there a reason as to why we are running?" Paige gasped out for breath while we were running.

We finally reached the part of our field where we could practice.

I could hear Marshall and River's giggles behind us and I turned around and they were laughing at us.

Paiges practically lunged at River and started smacking him on the arm and he picked her up and spun her around.

Becca shook her head as she went to talk to the underclassman and run through the routine with them before we all started.

Marshall walked over to me, he held his helmet in his hands and he was already sweating. I looked away from him because I just knew I was blushing.

I itched my head and was still looking away from him, "I'm probably not going to be over tonight."

"Why?" His voice had a hint of sadness.

I turned around to face him now, "Going to dinner with Becca and Paige and you have a football thing? And I should probably get home and see my family."

He hung his head back as if he was in pain, "I forgot about that. Will you be over tomorrow?"

I smiled, "Of course." Becca and Paige hollered my name. I was starting to walk away from him and walked back, "Next time you laugh about us running just remember I am stronger and faster than you. By a lot."

He smirked and it sent shivers down my spine, "I got it North."

~~~

"This is the best food I have ever had," Paige said.

Becca smiled at Paige's words. This place was really expensive but Becca wanted to treat us to dinner.

Becca and Paige were caught up in their own conversation while my eyes drifted to the back of the restaurant.

Familiar faces from protests made their way which looked like a downstairs part of the restaurant.

I couldn't use my powers here next to them, my eyes would glow so all I could do was watch them.

It looked sketchy, I couldn't just waltz my way there, I could but would it be worth it? Was it even anything at all?

If it was, I was going to keep my eye out.

"Earth to Leah?!" Becca waved her hand in front of me.

My eyes snapped up and they had already paid and were ready to leave.

I let my eyes linger at the door downstairs as we made our way outside.

Across the street there was a protest, I hadn't seen one up close as Leah North, as Leah Legend I saw plenty.

To get to our car we had to walk past them, we stayed together and you never knew if this would go violent. I stayed close to them in case.

As we walked past someone shoved a card inside my hands and grabbed my arm, "Be enlightened."

I snapped my arm away and looked at the card. There was a date for September 14th for a meeting underneath the restaurant.

I knew something was up with it. I shoved it into my pocket without Becca and Paige realizing.

It was this Sunday and I planned on going. There was no way I could go in as Leah North but I could sneak in as Leah Legend.

If I was caught as Leah North in an anti alien meeting it would not be good for my family's name.

And if my family ever knew I decided to go to one who knew what they would say.

But I had every intention of going to see what I could be enlightened about.