18 | mystery of life

"letting something go

"letting something go."

The sun shined bright as Aliya was approaching the train station riding Belle. She came to find out from Mrs. Lynde that her dearly new friend, Ka'kwet was getting sent off to a new school for Native Indians, who are getting the same kind of education that the girl is receiving today. Aliya hopped off the horse and tied her to a pole before running to the runway of the station to meet Ka'kwet with a box in her hands. Once the young girl was spotted, Aliya headed straight towards her to say her final goodbyes for now.

"Aliya!" Ka'kwet exclaimed at the girl.

"Good morning! I have a little surprise for you." Aliya said, while handing her the box. "This is the dress I wish I'd had on my first day of school. I want you to have it." Ka'kwet smiled and looked over at her mother, who was shaking her head is disapproval, not wanting to accept the gift. "I've grown. See? It doesn't fit me anymore, and Ka'kwet is the perfect size." Aliya informed the woman. This convinced her and she allowed her daughter to have black dress.

"Thank you for this." The girl said.

"You're welcome, Sea Star." Aliya replied, hearing that it was the last call for the train. "Well, I've get to get to my school, but good luck. Write to me. Green Gables!" She shouted back at her friend before riding off on Belle. On her way to school, the cheery attitude that she performed to Ka'kwet disappeared and turned into sadness. Ever since Mary has passed, she has had a difficult time overcoming it. It has been a couple of weeks already and it still felt like it was the day before. Aliya has cried her eyes out most nights and can't help but wonder what would happen if the woman was still with them. She missed having someone to talk to, spill her emotions to, and recieving good advice from. A tear spilled from her eye and trail down her cheek as the thoughts ran through her head.

"Come on, Aliya. Don't cry. Mary wouldn't want you to cry. Stay strong for her." The girl said to herself, before seeing the school house in the distance.

The train ride to Charlottetown was silent. Gilbert across from Aliya and Bash sitting next to him, not a word was spoken the whole trip. Mary's service was coming up on Saturday and none of them dared to speak about. Aliya wasn't suppose to be with them today. Marilla forbidden the girl to travel to do more research on her family, but Matthew allowed her to go. She had to go to the church to see if there was any information about her family there. But first, she had to go to Aunt Josephine's first to get herself "set up."

Once the three arrived at the station, they trailed off the train with Gilbert going to Dr. Ward's, telling him she wouldn't be able to make it today, Bash going to the Bog to tell everyone the details on the funeral, and Aliya heading to Miss Barry's home. The girl and Gilbert walked most of the way together, knowing that both places are in the same direction. They had some small talk on the way, but mostly silence. The boy broke off at the office door and Aliya saw Josphine's house after a few more minutes of walking.