05 | in the distance

"i was wrong about you

"i was wrong about you."

It's been a few days since Aliya has appeared at school. She couldn't handle the embarrassment from the last time she attended. Anne begged her to come along and see how everything turns out, but the older sister couldn't face it. She wanted to hid in the comfort of her bed and not deal with the consequences.

Flashback

Mr. Phillips was teaching mathematics and Aliya wasn't paying attention, per usual. She was deeply distracted within her book and didn't see any reason why she would take her eyes off of the words. While she was not paying attention, Gilbert was giving her looks from across the room. He wanted to get her attention, somehow. The boy wasn't sure why he felt this perisisent feeling of talking to the girl, but he acted upon it.

Gilbert decided to "drop" his apple on the floor, hoping it will roll over to her seat. Just as he wanted, it rolled right next to feet. Aliya took her eyes off her book for a quick second to look at the apple. She turned around and caught a glimpse of the boy looking at her. Quickly, the girl turned her head as she started to blush and picked up the apple to put on her desk before continuing on with her book. Gilbert knew this wasn't going to be easy.

The teacher had his face toward the chalkboard and this is when the Blythe boy chose to go forward with Plan B. He tossed his pencil right next to Aliya and slowly got out of his seat. Aliya heard an object land by her and keep her eyes straight ahead. She had hoped that he wouldn't come over, but she was disappointed. The girl felt a presence appear beside her and tensed her body.

"Hey." Is what he said in a quiet voice. The group of girls behind her, including Anne, were watching the scene. Ruby looked as if she was going to burst, Josie wanted to open her mouth but kept quiet, Diana and Anne were nervous for the girl, and Jane was confused on what was going on. Aliya ignored the boy and stayed focus on the wall. She didn't want to cause a fuse among the girls. However, that was about to change.

Gilbert did something he thought he would never do and went for the girl's hair.

"Carrots." He said while pulling on Aliya's fiery-red hair. She was furious. Why on Earth would he do that? Without thinking, she picked up her chalk slate and hit him across the face with it.

"I'm not talking to you!" Aliya exclaimed while hitting the boy. She dropped the object and put her hand in front of her mouth. Never would she have thought she would have done something like this. She hasn't done anything like thing before. Aliya searched over Gilbert's facial features and she couldn't figure out how he was feelings, but she could take a guess.

"You just did." He replied while having a small smirk on his face. She packed up all her things and darted to the school door, while hearing Mr. Phillips yell at her to come back to the front of the class.