Chapter 35: Fresh Start

Love Like This - Ben Rector

If you want me to be honest, I've never heard this song before but you know what give it a shot. Enjoy the update, sorry for such a wait!

The corner of her eyes crinkled as a tired look graced her features. Meredith was curled into a wheelchair with a blanket covering her pale figure. No matter how descriptive it could be, no one could ever imagine the ghastly appearances unless they'd seen it first hand.

"How are you feeling?" Cristina checked in for the what seemed like tenth time as she slowly wheeled her through the lobby. Meredith was exhausted, and cold, she was all puked out. She wanted nothing more to get home and drop into her large bed.

"I'm okay." Meredith whispered contently with a small smile. She was tired beyond belief but her dim eyes tried to stay open, tried to stay positive for the ones around her.

"Let's just get you home." Cristina smiled back while walking through the handicap door as it opened automatically.

The cool, Seattle air charged at the two and Cristina pushed as quickly as she could. Meredith shivered as her cheeks were not covered like the rest of her body.

Cristina quickly helped Meredith into the car first, her body coming in contact with the cool leather seats. She let out a shallow breath as the darkness enveloped her. She heard Cristina grunted in the back as she transferred the wheelchair, before she rounded to the drivers side and started the car, quickly turning up the heat.

"Woo! It's cold." Cristina breathed while covering her cool face with her hands for a brief moment as the car warmed.

They sat in complete silence as they drove. Meredith's eyes were slowly drooping but she forced them open so it wouldn't be a hassle for Cristina.

The car slowly came to a stop in front of Meredith's house. Cristina shut the car off and quickly came to Meredith side with the wheelchair once again.

Meredith shook her head while slowly lowering to the ground, wanted to have some freedom from the contracting chair, even if it was only a short walk to the house.

Cristina was reluctant but quickly gripped Meredith armed as she took multiple, excruciatingly slow steps towards the door. Her right leg of course didn't work on its own but she was getting by decently.

They finally made it inside and Cristina slowly helped Meredith trudge to her bedroom.

"Hey Mer! Hi Cristina." Izzie shouted from the kitchen. Meredith lifted her head up slowly to look for the sound but her vision was tunneled as she slowly was pushed into her room by Cristina.

The time after IL2 was exhausting. And heartbreaking. Meredith didn't even feel like a human. She felt un-functional. And it wasn't any easier for the people around her, even if she put a brave face on.

"Just close your eyes." Cristina whispered while climbing into the bed with Mer after she was under the covers.

"Hi Iz." Meredith mumbled quickly as her eyes finally closed shut. Cristina sighed while rubbing little circles on her back.

There was a moment of silence. Cristina was deep in thoughts as fears and intrusive thoughts filled her mind. She was a doctor. Meredith was heading into the remission stage but there was still a lot more she had to fight. And that's hard.