Chapter 34: Shake Away the Pain

Shake it Out - Florence + the Machine

Music is optional, but I heard this song was inspired by fighting cancer so I thought it was a good fit. Sorry for such a long wait, enjoy! Much love

"Thanks for picking me up Cris." Meredith whispered as Cristina helped her up to the house.

"It's no problem. I'm glad you're alright." Cristina smiled before her mouth wedged into a yawn.

"I am going to bed. I'm tired." Meredith mumbled while while weekly wheeling herself to her room, her hands still sore.

She immediately nudged off her shoes and transferred to the bed. Adjusting uncomfortably as her cannula rubbed against her nose. Once this tank was out she would be fine.

No more setbacks. No more medical devices.

Just get better and back to work.

She felt her heart rate calming as her head began to lift into a fairy world of peace.

-two days later-

Meredith was feeling better. At least as good as she could.

It was Friday. Days reserved for laying in bed and more cancer treatment. Sure, she was in remission but she still had to take precautions, and continuing IL2 treatment for a good while was one of them.

While she sat in a comfortable chair in a cancer room in silence. She was squeezing a tough sand filled ball between her healing hand while shifting in her chair.

Her legs were resting over the arm rest and she was lying in the chair sideways with her head dangling backwards. She was humming silently with her eyes closed.

She did miss the peace. The silence in the oncology ward. It was comforting. Soon it would be quite the opposite, now with less cancer to kill, the immunotherapy and the chemical filled medicine effected her greatly. She usually had to take the entire day and the day afterwards to set back into her normal state.

10 more days.

That was the goal. In ten days she could hopefully get back to work. Of course she would have to work harder than the other interns, and probably wouldn't be scrubbing into any surgeries any time soon. But she would only have three months until the intern test.

So she had to work, work, work. She was lucky to even be given this opportunity in the first place and with her minor setbacks she would have to work even harder.

She slowly sat up, blood rushing away from her now pulsing brain. She closed her eyes for a minute as she was dizzy.

She slowly set down her ball and picked up her book, she never picked up any hobbies with the days she spent in the hospital, except she started reading a lot more.

The book smelled like any book would, the scent of an old dusty library filled Meredith's senses as her fingers traced the edges of the hardcover book.

She opened to her bookmarked page and read over the words slowly. Reading was helping her brain power get stronger and return to its previous state, the words and the information filled her up and she was happy with the progress.

The words trifled into her mind, every sentence captivated her. She got through at least five chapters before she felts her eyes get droopy. She wasn't usually this tired but she hadn't slept much the night before, she had some chest pains but it was all fine.