Chapter 21: News Will Be News

Impossible- James Arthur

New chapter! Hope y'all enjoy it, not as busy as some other chapters but a crucial one! Music is optional, much love and happy readings!

Time jump 4 days

"Alright Meredith, let's get this started." Rebecca said while beginning to assert my IV. It had been 4 days since I've woken up, tomorrow I get a RVAD. Breathing had gotten harder in the short amount of time, weakness was the only sense I was able to feel.

"W-wait." I muttered quietly. She paused and looked up at me.
"Can I- Pl.. please go to r.. room." I whispered, I needed to get out of this room for at least an hour.

"Chemo room?" She sighed and looked at me skeptically. I nodded slowly, hoping she would allow it.
"I don't know if that's the best Idea- the others will be upset with me." She frowned while looking at me directly.

"P-please." I whispered. She sighed and smiled just slightly.

"Fine but don't tell anyone." She smirked while moving my railing down and walking out to grab a wheelchair. She returned and helped my limply sit in the wheelchair. I was able to move slightly, my right hand was regaining strength but my leg was still immobile. I hitched a breath as a jolt of pain fluttered through my chest. She clipped the fluids and heart lines to the pole on the wheelchair, and then attached the air canister to its side.

"Was- wasn't planning on it... it." I stuttered. She laughed slightly and brought me out into the hall.

"Meredith? Dr. Swender? She's not supposed to come out of her room." Nurse Debbie said after spotting Swender sneak me through the halls.

"Damn, we're caught." She whispered into my ear before standing up straight.
"Nurse Debbie! Nice to see you, we are just going down to chemo, we got it cleared don't worry." She smiled widely. Debbie nodded skeptically and went back to her work. Rebecca continued to roll me down the hall, once we were out of view I laughed slightly and looked up to her.

"Liar. You're a- such a l-liar." I laughed as we rolled into the room. She laughed in response and helped me into the purple armchair. I let out a few light coughs. She continued to clamp all the necessities around my head on poles, allowing the wires the flow around my body.

"Comfortable?" She questioned while adjusting the cannula on my boney cheekbones. I was much skinnier than before the surgery, the vomited and sweating conducted the loss of my food intake, that was already very minimum. I nodded as she pulled up a foot rest to lift my legs on.

"Okay, I have to check on some patients, but I will be right back." She said while pushing the wheelchair to the side of the room and exiting. I sighed as I looked at the new environment. I was pleased to be out of the confined white room. This room was the opposite, painted a nice shade of blue. Indigo. Would have been Dereks favorite. The window was larger, it led to the bright Seattle sky with a perfect view of the space needle. The room was open, it felt as if it was homey.

I felt more at home and I really missed my home. I've been moved to a normal patient room in oncology once again, no long needing to be in the PACU. The world was lonely in a patient bed. The others had come to visit, but I was still left alone in the hospital bed a portion of the day.

I looked out at the light clouds that lay in the sky, they were so vibrant today. Big puffs in all shapes and sizes all the same shade of a lace white. Ever since I've been trapped in this hospital I've felt a sudden appreciation for nature. For the matrix's of the sky and the trees. From a simple bug to an enormous mountain, it was all beautiful.

—————

"Nurse Debbie? Why isn't Meredith Grey in her room?" Both Derek and Amelia had gone to check on her, and Burke was supposed to stop by soon as well. Nurse Debbie looked at them confused, Rebecca had cleared Meredith's departure to the chemo room. Debbie laughed to herself realizing she had been fooled. Rebecca had lied.