Chapter 10: I'll be Alright

I'll be Alright- Christopher Bensinger

Hey guys! This time I decided to try something new, I added music you can listen too! It's totally optional and I tried my best to match it with the story, but once again, optional! :) much love and happy readings

Dr.Bailey and I had decided to just find my fellow interns and tell them privately. No need for a big outburst.

"So any idea where your fellow interns might be?" Bailey questioned after we had searched the entire surgical floor, I had gotten many side eyes and whispers pointed in my direction from my position in the wheelchair.

"Yeah I do, follow me." I sighed while rolled myself towards the elevator. We both walked in to the adjacent elevator and I picked the button labeled 'basement'.

"Basement?" Bailey questioned confused.

"Yup." I replied blandly.

We both rode in silence until the elevator stopped, I continued to roll down a small corridor until I heard the exhausted laughter and chit-chat of my closest friends.

"I can't let them see me in a wheelchair, just not yet." I said while forcing myself out of the chair, I immediately staggered into the wall and gripped it so I wouldn't fall to my face.

"Are you sure? I really think you should use it so you don't get injur-" Bailey began to objectify.

"I'm sure. Just stay here, I'll be back." I said sternly while gimping along the wall. She nodded sadly behind me.

I walked through the large black doors and into a much larger hall the had unused cots lining the sides. We called this place the 'tunnels' and came down whenever we were just updating charts or even socializing.

"Oh hey Mer!" George exclaimed as I walked through the doors. All four of them were there thankfully.

"Hey guys." I replied while slowly walking over, I tried to hide my discomfort and walk slowly but I'm fairly positive they noticed my need for the wall and my limping as I walked towards them.

"Hey are you alright?" Izzie asked concerned while setting down the chart she was occupied in. I sighed as I finally reached the open cot across from them and sat down, relieving my left leg I had put all my body weight on.

"Yes, I'm Fi- well no. Actually I need to talk to you guys." I stopped myself, I couldn't tell them I was fine when I really wasn't. Alex raised his eyebrows and Cristina frowned.

"Ok, we're listening." Cristina said while trying to be supportive. I sighed deeply before beginning.

"I won't be able to work as an intern with you guys for a while..." I started, I don't really know how to approach this, I just had to wing it.

"What, why?!" George exclaimed before letting me continue.

"Let me finish.." I took a deep shaky breathe.
"I can no longer work with you guys because... starting tomorrow morning I will be admitted as a patient here at Seattle Grace." I blurted while still trying to break the news to them lightly. All four wore the same confused look on their face.
"I, Uhm, I was diagnosed with a- a rare form of brain cancer and I- I start treatment tomorrow and I just needed to tell you guys because... because you are my only family." I explained as tears began to flow down my cheeks. I hid my face in my hands and began to cry louder. I immediately felt the warm hands of my friends comforting my back.

Cristina jumped on the cot with me and hugged me from behind, and she certainly wasn't a hugger. Izzie sat next to me and rubbed soft circles on my shoulder to comfort me. George and Alex just came over to be there. Them showing they supported me really helped.