Chapter 22: Sometimes Stars Burst

Hold on- Cord Overstreet

Hey guys! Sorry it's been so long since I've updated! I've been super busy with schoolwork and my parents divorce, I hope you understand.

As always, music is optional, I really love this song. Much love and happy readings!

"Why- why can't I feel my leg still if the tumors m- mostly gone?" I questioned with a sting of fear. If the tumor was gone and I still couldn't move my leg, that would mean permanent damage. Amelia looked up at Tom nervously and I felt the tension rise in the room. "What?" I debriefed. Tom swallows while walking closer to the bedside, standing behind Amelia.

"During the initial surgery... there was a complication, we- we didn't think it would do anything but while I was removing the tumor in your cerebellum, we knocked part of the cerebral and a bleed emerged.. we got it under control but.. but..." He began but looked over at Amelia to question if he should continue.

"So what? I can never m- move my leg on my own a- again?" I questioned, slightly nervous.

"We don't know that yet, we will have to get some scans, I'll inspect the ones we already took further, don't jump to conclusions, just focus on your treatment." Derek added, finishing what Tom couldn't say. I nodded sadly. This entire situation was bound to happen, it was a miracle that I was still alive. So I thought about that. 19% chance survival and I was still alive, with the tumor almost gone. Of course I still had a while to go but it was progress.

"Alr-ight." I sighed. My mind was exhausted from the short interaction but I wasn't going to fall asleep when I had just recently woken up. Tom, Derek, and Rebecca had made their departure and Cristina came to my side. She had returned from running my blood work. I was glad she was there for me. She felt my forehead and slowly brought up a cold compress to my forehead. It felt very cold, made me almost shiver but I knew that the outside was feeling very different than the inside for me. On the outside I had a temperature of 104.6. On the inside I felt like and ice box.

"Okay Meredith.. you rest, talk to Cristina if you would like. Dr. Swender and I will discuss your physical therapy later." Amelia smiled before leaving the room. I let out a shaky sigh and closed my eyes temporarily.

"What the hell?" Cristina said while staring at her pager.

"W-what?" I questioned. She continued to stare at the small device with confusion.

"The chief paged everyone in the hospital to the lobby. I wonder why.." Cristian trailed off.

"Go. Report back to me, I'll be fine." I smiled lightly. She frowned and nodded before standing up and leaving the room.

Cristian continued her way through the halls and saw almost everybody going in the same direction. Some Nurses stayed behind to keep an eye on the patients but other than that the entire hospital was filing into the lobby. Richard was standing at the top of the stairs with Patricia next to him, overlooking everyone in the lobby.

"Ahem! Everybody listen up!" He boomed to his audience. Everyone went silent, eager to know why they had been paged.
"I know you've heard rumors... and the rumors are true." He sighed. Most were confused, especially Cristina because she hadn't heard of any recent rumors.
"Coming after New Years... we will be merging with Mercy West. There will be cuts. Be cautious because we are watching your every move from this point on. Every miscalculation, every mistake will be recorded. This isn't like a normal day where mistakes are plausible. Lives are on the line. Along with your jobs." Richard said with a slight sadness in his tone.

"What? Why do we need to merge?" Cristina shouted out before everyone would begin to leave. Richard sighed.

"Our rankings are lower than expected. Budget cuts." He frowned before turning to walk up the rest of the stairs. Cristina stood their blank. She couldn't lose her job. Nobody could lose their job. She shook her head and immediately went to return to Meredith's room.