Chapter 20

The rest of the time that Misaki was alert was a blaze of confusion. There was a swarm of police, the sound of angry yelling as Kame was slammed to the ground and taken into custody. It was like whooshing air in a tunnel. The last few days began to weigh on her, the lack of sleep and adrenaline leaving her body making her sink tiredly to her knees.

"It's over," She whispers, tears blurring her vision as she covers her face with her hands in relief. "Ma'am are you alright?" A cop asks, coming close to her in concern as Atsumu holds her tight to his chest. "I will be now," Misaki breathes, exhaling all the stress and the tension from the last few days. Another comes forward, checking all the other rooms. 

"Was there anyone else here?" Misaki shakes her head. "No. They only wanted me," she tells them, looking at her twins to ensure their safety. Kaen was still crying but Nozomi had peacefully fallen back asleep. Aside from the smell of dirty diaper, both seemed fine, no bruises or scratches. The relief was immediate.

As the last vestiges of adrenaline left her body, Misaki droops, feeling sleepy. "It's all over... I can't believe it," she whispers. Atsumu holds her tight, his  arms not wanting to let her go once he was assured that she wasn't heavily injured. "Miss Sakusa, if you're not too  injured, we would need you to come to the station to make a report," another officer speaks up, the woman touching her shoulder gently. 

Nodding her head, she finds the energy to pull herself to her feet. "After... I want to go home with my family and rest," she tells the woman standing behind her. Nodding in understanding, they lead her up the stairs and out of the building that she had spent the hellish last three and a half, almost 4 days in. Misaki gives a glance back at the building, feeling the utter shock that it was one less than a mile from her home. 

She passed it every day on the way to work back then. But now, she associated it with a myriad  of negative memories, some of the worst of her life. Now, she could do with never seeing it again. 

Before she knew it, Misaki was pushed into a car, heading for the police station. As they pulled away from the curb, she could see a hearse and the coroner pulling up to take the bodies away. Atsumu pulls her against his chest, turning her head away from the scene. "Relax. I'll never let anything happen to ya again," he whispers, kissing her temple softly as he strokes her hair. 

"Tsumu? I think It's time we sold the house and moved... It's got too many bad memories in this side of Osaka," she admits, shivering as she rests her head on his chest. Atsumu nods understandingly, stroking her arms with his hands gently. "Of course babe. I'll support whatever decision ya make," he agrees amicably. 

"I'd like to move on the other side of Osaka, a few miles from here," she admits, feeling slightly afraid of having a repeat of this happening again. Atsumu nods. "We'll find the perfect place, alright?" he murmurs, pausing as they pull into the station, the police car ahead already taking Kame out of the car to be booked into the jail.

"Miss Sakusa, this way please," the police woman from earlier tells her as she leads them in, gesturing to the people inside to move out of the way. "Back this way please. We'll  head to my office to give you some privacy from prying eyes," she says kindly. 

The next hour Misaki can barely remember. An hour of answering questions. Of trying to remember every detail of her imprisonment in the basement of the building. Of remembering how and why she was taken. Who she saw and what they did to her... All leading up to her escape attempt. At the end of it, Misaki was tired and just wanted to go home. The babies were crying, most likely hungry. The police had found diapers somewhere to change them into, but not formula.