Chapter 16

A cry in the middle of the night woke Misaki. Her eyelids slowly fluttered open, Misaki slowly waking up. But the soft sounds of shushing was like a lullaby, bringing her sleepiness to the forefront. Forcing her eyes open, she peers around in the dim lighting. In the hallway, a light burned, and Misaki painstakingly made her way out of bed. Her small feet touched the cold floor, almost making her hiss in surprise. Slowly she creeps into the hallway, peeking around the corner of the door the light came from. Then her heart melted.

Atsumu was holding their son, softly singing to him, albeit a little off key. Atsumu looks up as Misaki enters the doorway, a soft smile on her face as she notices that her daughter was fast asleep. "Yer supposed to be asleep," he frowns at her, softly rubbing between Kaen's brows softly. The baby boy blinks sleepily as he sucks on the bottle in his mouth. "I'm surprised Nozomi is still asleep," Misaki changes the subject, peering fondly at her daughter. Knowing she wasn't going back to bed, Atsumu sighs and murmurs "She's already been fed and changed. Only Kaen was left."

"I never even heard them cry," Misaki feels slightly guilty. Grinning, Atsumu looks back down at the baby in his arms. "That's because I got up before they did. I figured that ya could use the sleep. Ya look exhausted Misa. Yer gonna burn yerself out," Atsumu counters, burping Kaen before laying him down as well. The content baby coos a few times before falling back asleep. Atsumu places the bottle down before standing and scooping Misaki up into his arms. "Hey! What are you doing?!" Misaki squeaks, her eyes widening. Atsumu laughs. "What does it look like? I'm taking ya back to bed."

He pauses, turning the speaker on for the baby monitor before carrying her back to bed. "I got up so ya didn't have to. Ya don't need to do everything yerself. Misa. I'm here waiting to help ya. I want to help ya. So take the help. It doesn't make ya a bad mother to receive assistance. Yer body is still recovering from a major abdominal surgery. I don't mind waking up with them for ya," Atsumu tells her, gently laying her back against the bed. His eyes sparkle slightly in the darkness of the room, gazing fondly at her.

He had practice in the morning, but he was going to make sure that she didn't have to get up before he left. She did everything all day regardless of the task. The least he could do was try and make her life a little easier. Blinking tiredly at him, Misaki gives him a small smile. "You know, I'm so glad it's you," She murmurs, her hand stroking his cheek softly. Atsumu feels a flutter of happiness deep in his chest. "Me too," He whispers, pecking her lips as he tucks her into her side of the bed. Then he climbs in himself.

The early morning light filtered in, Misaki waking up to small fussing noises coming from the next room over. Her feet hit the floor, the thick carpet under her feet cool to the touch. Atsumu must have moved it there to keep her from the shock of the cold floor. Making her way to the other room followed by both Yukari and Delta, she individually lifts up each baby, cradling them while she feeds them. The peaceful morning passed what seemed like so quickly. Having newborns was exhausting especially when there were two of them. But Misaki managed somehow.

It was nearing three in the afternoon when Misaki finally pulled out the stroller, bundling each baby as she put them in the stroller. This was her first time taking a stroll with them since they were born, and it finally being warm enough for it, she decided to take one of the two dogs. There was no way she could do both and a stroller. Making a quick decision, she grabs the leash and calls to Delta, the big dog sitting while she clips the lead on then opens the door, resetting the security code as she walks out and locks up behind her.