CHAPTER 26 - CALL

FARREI

The following weeks after the competition, the company received a number of possible investors. My father and I have been reviewing their backgrounds before giving them the confirmation and contract as well. Most of my time was spent at the company. I barely had the chance to be with her.

After what happened that night, my hunger and craving for her tripled. As if I'm walking in the middle of a desert, trying to find an oasis. I miss her so fucking bad. If it wasn't for the piled paper works, I wouldn't have second thoughts of driving to her apartment and workplace.

I sighed and closed my eyes, removing the glasses. Nilapag ko iyon sa lamesa at sumandal. Nananakit na ang sentido ko sa dami ng tinatrabaho. Thomas, my dad's secretary, helped me from time to time but he's busy with other stuffs too. Marami ring inaasikaso si Dad para sa gaganaping celebration ng company. We only have a week to prepare and it's driving the environment in haste.

Thomas knocked and entered the room. Just as when I was about to breathe from the stress, looking at his face, another paperwork  I assume. 

"Yes?"

"Mr. Black, you have a phone call. It's from a private line. You can use these airbuds."

I tilted my head in confusion when he handed me a pair of the device. Call from a private line? We rarely use this.

"Thank you. You may go now." He nodded and exited the room. I put the device in my ear.

"Yes? Farrei Lyone Black speaking. Who's this?"

"Rei... It's me Franceska."

Ate? Her voice sounded so weak. I haven't heard a word from her for a long time ever since she rejected the position offered to her. 

"Ate? What happe-" 

"I'm in the country. Please don't search for me. I'm doing something for the sake of our family." It feels like she's trying hard to breathe all the words she said. What the hell is she saying? She's here? 

"I don't understand what you're talking about, Ches. And you're here? Wala ka man lang paramdam sa amin nila Dad!"

"Just... just trust me on this. I... I'll visit soon. But not now." And the line went off. Every word she said doesn't make a sense to me. Para akong nakinig sa hangin. Wala akong maintindihan!

She's here in the Philippines! And she didn't say a word for such a long time! Ang huling pagkikita namin ay noon tumulak siyang France matapos tanggihan ang posisyon na inooffer sa kanya ni Dad. I was left with no choice but to take over in her stead. Minsan napakahirap intindihin ni Ate. After what happened to us when were still kids, she changed. However, I don't know if that change is for the better. 

She's doing something for the sake of the family? What was that? 

I groaned and threw the device across the room. I can't think of a reason as to why and what the hell is she doing in here. What business does she have in this country when in the first place, she 's forgotten the existence of this land?

Later in the evening, our family had a dinner with the Mardonis. Alexus and his brother Alrius was there, trying hard to keep up with their overly strict father, Alfredo Mardoni. The talks was all about business in the underground. I'm also unsure if I heard the name Daniel Varoni during their silent conversations. Daniel's whereabouts has made me curious. 

"Are you still pursuing it?" I casually asked Alex. We threw glances. Alam kong naintindihan niya ang ibig kong sabihin. 

"Yes. I'm almost done with the business." The business means his architecture course. What a rebel son. I silently laughed.