Chapter 5: A Garden with Something Else. (Part 4)

Start from the beginning

"Oh Tai?" Maila glanced his way and the boy avoided her gaze. "He's a little shy."

"Are you sure?" Shy would be like the children who gazed at him with curious eyes but kept their distance. What Tai was doing was more of a glare.

"He's like that. Also he's probably a little wary of you. It's not often we get new visitors and you're even living here now. Just give him some time."

"Right...." As much as Kyle would have liked to let it drop, the continuous staring sent shivers down his spine. In the end he decided to make his move and walked out of the kitchen and outside to where Tai was watching over some of the kids. The younger boy immediately saw him coming but didn't back away and continued to stare at him. Kyle pumped himself up inside, "Tai isn't it? Would you mind giving me and Maila a hand?"

The boy's expression betrayed him as he clearly didn't expect those words, "Ah umm, sure." Despite his quivering eyes he obediently followed Kyle inside.

"Help us put these on the tables," Kyle gestured to the sandwiches.

Tai nodded and did as he was told easily carrying the fully loaded platters. As he moved around the kitchen Kyle couldn't help notice he was avoiding him and giving him a wide berth. It was impossible he was afraid of him, or so Kyle thought, as the boy could probably crush his arm if he wanted to. He had to wonder if it was something else. Did he smell or was it something he was wearing?

Kyle refused to let his avoidance get to him and smiled warmly to him instead, "Thanks." He pushed a plate towards him, "Go ahead and take one if you want. Call the others while you're at it."

To his surprise Tai flinched and a reddened blush crossed his cheeks. The boy nodded before taking a sandwich from the plate and heading back outside. Kyle froze and slowly turned to Maila.

"Umm... did he just blush?"

"Well I think a lot of people would with how you smiled at him," she replied amused. "Tai's at that age and aside from us family hardly any girls come by."

"But I'm a guy!" Kyle said exasperated. He knew he looked like a girl but it was the first time another boy, and even girl for that matter, had reacted that way towards him.

"I told you to be careful." Maila looked at him seriously, "Your village was already used to you but here and especially in the city, most people would default you to a girl. Your voice isn't particularly deep either." As much as he hated to admit it she had a point.

"Maybe I should grow a beard...."

"Can you?"

"No," Kyle despaired. He never had the chance to meet his mother before, but her genes must have been really strong for him to look this way.

Tai led the children inside including those who were still in the classroom. The teachers however had returned home, which Kyle thought was a shame. He had wanted to talk to them as in the end he could use some more education as well. During breakfast he had been cooking extra pancakes the entire time but now with everything ready he took a seat at one of the tables. At first none of the children dared to sit next to him and crowded themselves in the other seats. Maila who was with them looked quite smug but thankfully as Lillia arrived she sat down beside him. Then to his surprise Tai sat down as well, though at the edge of the table. Gradually with the older children like Himila and Kara leading the way the table ended up full.

"Ah these are really good as well," Himila's expression loosened. "If we eat like this every day we'll get fat."

"It's called moderation," Kara poked her stomach and the girl winced.