100. two drifters, off to see the world

Start from the beginning

Marlene sat up straight, "Do you think something bad has happened?"

None of them answered. They could feel it inside of them, as though they had heard a little voice whisper it to them hours before when it had happened as they were sleeping. None of them knew what it was, but it was there.

That funny little feeling that told them that something awful had happened. They had that feeling often now, but they never really recognised it until they knew for sure.

And they were right. Something awful had happened. But it wasn't anything like they'd ever imagined.

"Um, we're cutting this week's programme short," Jia Li continued. "But we find it important that everyone must know what's happened."

Weary glances was shared inside the room. They knew that it had to do with Henry. It had to be him. Was he dead? Had he been taken?

But then again, why would Jia Li even continue with the show if he wasn't safe? If he was dead, or badly hurt, surely she would be doing anything other than announcing it to all of Henry's listeners?

And, come to think of it, Jia Li always said 'we', as though Henry was right there, holding out the script with the words for her to say.

It was silent again. But then, like a soft little whisper, all they could hear were small sniffles, before Jia Li's choked up voice continued.

"Raven would like to thank you all for doing your best to find our friend Claudia Maple," she said. "She's okay now."

All the girls looked at one another as Remus sat there, the air leaving his lungs as if he was holding his breath deep underwater.

"Raven wants you all to know that she's okay now," Jia Li continued in a shaky voice. "She's safe with her Regulus."

"What does she mean?" Inez asked in a tone of desperation, looking at Remus and Remus only. "What's happening? Is Claudia home?"

"Her family has confirmed it," Jia Li said.

"Confirmed what?!" Inez yelled, as distressed as she could be. "What?!"

"Claudia and Regulus Maple-Black have passed away."

The world ended then. Remus was sure of it. Maybe it still moved around him; maybe the sun was still about to come out and babies were still about to be born and christmases were about to be spent, but for him, right there on that miserable rainy day, his life ended.

He couldn't hear the agonising screams around him. He didn't even look up. He just stared at his feet as Betty began to cry, dropping the glass of water she had been holding to the ground. He didn't care to move for the shards of glass that landed near his feet, nor did he look up when Inez ran screaming out of the room, Marlene, already drenched in tears, following her.

"Remus?" He heard Betty's soft voice say in a whisper as he finally took notice of the cries that were coming from everywhere around him, even from the radio.

"Go," he replied.

"Oh, Remus," Betty said, sniffling as she placed her hand on his shoulder.