Chapter 57

Another entire month had passed by quickly. Like turning a page in a book. She was 7 months, now. Amara was currently back at home, sitting on her living room couch. She was staring at an envelope in her hands. The sender was the doctor she'd been seeing for her pregnancy. She'd asked him for a DNA test. She'd been staring at the envelope for the past 10 minutes, afraid to open it. She wasn't sure how she would handle the results. But, she was tired of not knowing. So, she needed to get the answer. She took a few deep breaths to give herself courage. She needed to do it quickly, before she regretted it.

Amara tore open the top and pulled out the paperwork that contained the results. Her hands were shaking as she unfolded the paper. She took another deep breath as her eyes wandered briefly over the test. She finally found the section that gave the result. When she read the sentence, it felt like her heart had dropped into her stomach. She stared down at the test results, reading the name over and over again. As if she would see a different name each time she read it. But, it never changed. It stayed the same.

𝑻𝒉𝒆 𝒂𝒍𝒍𝒆𝒈𝒆𝒅 𝒇𝒂𝒕𝒉𝒆𝒓 𝒊𝒔 𝒊𝒏𝒄𝒍𝒖𝒅𝒆𝒅 𝒂𝒔 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒃𝒊𝒐𝒍𝒐𝒈𝒊𝒄𝒂𝒍 𝒇𝒂𝒕𝒉𝒆𝒓 𝒐𝒇 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒄𝒉𝒊𝒍𝒅. 𝑻𝒆𝒔𝒕 𝒑𝒆𝒓𝒇𝒐𝒓𝒎𝒆𝒅: 𝑨𝒎𝒏𝒊𝒐𝒄𝒆𝒏𝒕𝒆𝒔𝒊𝒔 𝒂𝒕 7 𝒎𝒐𝒏𝒕𝒉𝒔 𝒐𝒇 𝒑𝒓𝒆𝒈𝒏𝒂𝒏𝒄𝒚. 𝑨𝒍𝒍𝒆𝒈𝒆𝒅 𝒇𝒂𝒕𝒉𝒆𝒓: 𝑲𝒂𝒊 𝑲𝒂𝒎𝒂𝒍 𝑯𝒖𝒆𝒏𝒊𝒏𝒈.

Amara released a soft noise that she wasn't even sure was of pain or relief. A single tear rolled down her cheek, hitting the paper. As if some coincidence, it landed right on his name. The paper fluttered from her hands, landing on the floor. She let out a choked sob, covering her mouth.

She fell to her knees, unable to hold in the sobs that escaped her mouth. She wasn't sure if they were happy tears, relieved tears, or painful tears. She didn't know what to think of this. She wasn't sure if she should finally be happy on knowing the father. Or if she should be worried about result.

Amara doubled over on to the carpet, trying to calm down. She felt the familiar signals of an anxiety attack, rushing to her brain. She breathed heavily, her entire body trembling. Another tear rolled down her face as she was trying to focus her breathing. While doing this, she could hear the distant noise of knocking on her front door. She wasn't expecting anyone, so she was surprised. But, she couldn't get up even if she wanted to. Not during this attack. If she got up, it would be worse. The door unlocked and opened. It closed and she heard a couple of footsteps.

"Amara!"

Sunghoon's voice came from behind her. He ran over to her kneeling next to her and putting his arms around her middle. He was about to sit her up, until he felt her trembling. She was having an anxiety attack. He put his hands on her back gently.

While wondering what was causing it, his eyes saw a piece of paper on the floor in front of her. He reached over and picked it up. He turned it over to see what it was. It was a DNA test. He had only assumed it was for the baby. It wasn't until he saw the results, that his suspicions were confirmed.

Sunghoon saw Kai's name printed at the bottom of the page. The word 'father' was right next to it. He stared down at the last three words on the paper. He was brought back to the present when Amara suddenly grabbed his hand. His attention was startled away from the paper, looking at her. She was still having her anxiety attack, breathing heavily. He dropped the paper and gently squeezed her hand that was gripping his his.

"It's okay. You're doing good. It's just the thought. Just breathe," he tells her, his voice calm.

She sat up slowly, doing her best to breathe. He did the breathing with her, so she wouldn't feel alone.

"It's just the thought you're having. I know it's scary, but it can't hurt you,"

Sunghoon used his other hand to rub her back. He'd been a witness to a countless number of her anxiety attacks, while they were together. So, he knew how to keep her calm and how to help her come down from it.

A couple of hours had passed since her anxiety attack. Amara was lying on the couch, still slightly focusing on her breathing, so she could keep herself calm. To try and help further calm her down, Sunghoon laid on the couch with her. At some point, her head had ended up on his chest and she was now listening to his heart beat against her cheek.

"So, he's the father."

Sunghoon's words had surprised her. Amara had still been working on her breathing, not ready to talk yet. He understood and he didn't push it. But, he continued to talk, so there could be somewhat of a conversation for her to join if she wanted.

"I'll be honest; I didn't think it was him. I expected it to be one of the others. Not him. He doesn't deserve to be the father of your baby. Not with how he's been treating you."

Amara opened her eyes, listening to him speak,

"But, I guess either way, I'm happy. I'm happy to know you won't be stressing over who the father is anymore. I know that was messing you up badly," he said softly.

For the first time since she first met him, Amara was beginning to realize how much this man meant to her. She sighed softly, closing her eyes. She turned her face into his chest, taking in his cologne and his presence.

She didn't want this moment or this feeling to go away. This was probably the closest that she's ever been with Sunghoon.