Chapter 5

"Your back!" Eve shouted as I opened our door. "Shhh!" I cautioned, and then glared at her like Demicus did.

"Sorry." Her voice settled and her head swayed down then popped back up smiling. "What did you bring back for me?"

"I couldn't get anything; my signals went off too quickly." I answered, hoping she wouldn't question me. But she did, because she is Eve.

"What ever are you talking about, you were there for the whole day, it is almost night! How much time do you need Uri?" She looked disappointed. I turned my head away from her big shining eyes and walked back out of the house. "You’re walking." She reminded me.

I fell into a crawl and looked around to see if anyone noticed. I moved swifter into the shrubs and tall bushes to the east of the castle. I wanted to be alone. My crawls became more aggressive than I wanted to show, palms smashing against the clouds. My eyes brightened and it became too easy to tell I was upset. Eve found it weird that I admired the more earthly parts of Sunad than the parts minx created, but I can only find complete peace in the skies rain forest.

I sat on a moist rock and watched the river flow along down the stream. I could hear movement in the bushes around me. "Go away." I mumbled loud enough for her to hear. The movement only got closer until I could see a small shadow behind me.

"Won’t you tell me what's wrong? You’re awfully upset for someone who spent the whole day with their beloved human boy friend." I attempt to block out everything she was saying but it didn't work and my eyes settled into a calm green.

“I hate rushing back here Eve."

"I understand." She was quiet for a moment. "If you didn't have to come back...would you?"

My eyes closed in shame when I realized the answer. I would not.  

"I couldn't leave you here...alone. If you came with me, and I did not have to come back. Why return?"  

I said carefully, hoping not to hurt her.

I turned away from the river and looked at her behind me. Her eyes were melted and soft, as if they were about to release the humans tears.

"You would abandon your flock?" She asked. Anger hinted her words and I did not know how to answer anymore.  

"I don't fit in here." 

Her eyes began to glow now. "Oh but you think you fit in there? Tell me Uri, do humans have wings?"  

I didn't answer, and she carried on.  

"Do they have tails on their backsides?" She walked a long the river slow and observing.  

"I can tie them down..."

She steered at me in disbelief. "You’re out of your mind. I can’t talk to you."

I felt my eyes erupt like a volcano and my position shifted like I was about to attack. "I thought you would understand, I was horribly wrong. Leave Eve." I snarled.

Her face turned childlike. "I'm sorry. I just don't think you can fit in anywhere on earth. At some point humans want closer interaction than just hugging, that you have mastered so well. And you may think you have control, but you don't Uri. You will always be a minx. Stop trying to run away from it."

She turned to leave and what she said burned through my head. She was right I couldn't turn away from what I am.

I got off the rock and unbraided my hair and dived into the river. My eyes closed and it carried me away down the stream of the forest. I relaxed listening to the hum of the forest. I thought about him, how his hand felt on mine. I wanted to see him again.

I don't know what I want from him.

I don't know what I am to them. But I know if I find the control, I can be with him.     

I want to be with him.

After a few minutes had passed I got out of the river and flew to the castle to spend the night with Demicus. 

*****************************************************

Morning came again and I stopped by our house to tell Eve where I was off to before leaving. 

"I promise to bring you back something this time." I whispered. She didn't seem to be paying attention lost in her dreams. She groaned and sank deeper into her cloud and I decided she would know where I went when she woke up. 

I rushed across the sky, racing the sun behind me. It fought to catch up, drowning everything beyond it in an orange twilight glow. I glided down to earth and hopped trees until I was in his backyard once again. 

I moved closer to his window now and steered at him, his chest moved up and down in a steady beat, and his mouth parted half open. I smiled. He looked funny. I looked along the bed to his bare chest not covered by the blue sheets and his feet exposed through sweat pants he was wearing and realized I had left without clothes. 

Frantically I dashed out of his area and found a student walking on a lonely street. A few cars passed by her but there was no one around to claim as a witness. 

Quickly I attacked. Snatched her up by the arm and flew to a high building. She tried many times to scream but her screams were caught in my hands that covered her mouth. 

"Shhh." I pleaded. I did not need to be nice to humans, I am just a nice person, but some of them are quite rude, even to their pairs. 

She steered at me frightened. I released her mouth and glared at her. 

She looked so afraid, of me. I wouldn't hurt an innocent soul. I do kill humans at times but not the innocent ones. 

"Will you take off your clothes?" I addressed politely, trying to sound as friendly as I could at that moment. The question was indeed very weird and her eyebrows turned down confused. 

"Hurry!" I said nicely. She continued steering into my eyes. My patience was slipping.

"Remove your garments!" I growled. Her shaking hands pushed off her clothes. A white polo shirt with a tall collar and a school girl pleaded skirt laid on the roof of the gray building. 

"Shoes too...and I like your hair ribbon." I stated. She took off every piece of clothing until only her underwear and bra were left. I slipped them on and tied my hair up into a pony tail with the ribbon. 

The skirt was rather short and not school like at all, it made for a cute outfit. Much sexier than I was going for, but decent. 

It was better than the time where I found a girl with very tight shorts and a tank top. 

I dropped her by a clothing store that I realized wasn't open, shrugged and returned back to his house but he was already up. 

I made my way to the school I had found a way to enroll in at the beginning of the school year. "Jesse Taylor?" The teacher had called; I raised my hand in the place of her seat. Jesse Taylor couldn't raise her hand; Eve was nibbling away at it.