Chapter 6

As I make my way back to my house I hear a twig snap. Quickly I look behind me and all around me. Nothing, I hear it again but this time someone puts their hand over my mouth. I struggle as they pull me into the woods. I stop once I smell cinnamon and fresh baked bread. Peeta! It's Peeta, but why would he be doing this to me? He finally stops and lets go of me. I quickly turn around and I was right, it was him.

"What the hell Mellark!" I say shouting with anger.

"Shh! Calm down let me explain." He says in a soft tone.

"Fine! Explain Mellark." I say in a annoyed with a bit of anger dripping out of my voice.

"Ok, my mom found out that i'm with you. I am not even supposed even be seeing you because you are not rich enough. So as punishment she started to beat me even more and saying things about you that weren't true. She's a cruel women. Anyway she said she was coming to find you and that she was gonna beat and kill you. Also that she was not gonna have another disappointment be with a slut. I didn't want her to hurt you. So I came to find you. She knows where you live and I couldn't live with myself if you got hurt, all because of me, it would just tear me apart." He says crying at this point. It hurts me to see him like this but at least it shows me how much he cares.

"Peeta, it's okay I understand completely, but where are we gonna hide? Shouldn't she be in jail right now or divorced from your father." I say while letting tears stream down my face. How could someone so hateful hurt someone so naïve.

"I really don't know and I really wish she was divorced from my father and in jail right now, trust me." He says a bit calmer this time.

"Why don't we go back and find your dad, he should of had enough of her by now." I say.

"Okay, but lets run okay." He says finally not crying anymore.

"Okay." I say then we both start to run.

We reach the bakery in about a few minutes. We are in luck because I see Mr. Mellark. He's right at the door fixing to walk in but me and Peeta hurry and run up to him, just before he walks in.

"Hey what are you two running for?" Mr. Mellark ask with a hint of concern and curiosity.

"Mom started to beat me more and she said she was going to beat and kill Katniss ten times worse. Please dad can you do something!" Peeta pleads.

"What? I thought she had stopped hurting you kids years ago. Now, that's it! I have had enough of her bullshit! How could she hurt children and threaten to do something to Katniss who has done nothing wrong at all. Now, that I will never know. Don't worry I will file for divorce, and the security camera should be enough evidence for her to go to jail." He says with a voice with mixed up emotions.

"Thank you so much." Peeta says with relief and while hugging his dad.

"Why don't you two kids go upstairs in Peeta's bedroom. I'll call Haymitch for you Katniss." Mr.Mellark says.

"Thank you Mr. Mellark." I say gratefully.

"Call me James." He says.

"Okay, thank you... James." I say.

"Welcome any time." Mr.Mellark says smiling.

While me and Peeta make our way to his room. He keeps apologizing and saying he wished he had never brought me into this mess. I keep telling him it's okay, he eventually settles with me that it is okay. It wasn not even his fault anyway.

This is why I love him. He's just so caring. We eventually settle into bed with Peeta just in his boxers and me in one of his oversized shirts. He wraps his arm around my waist pulling me closer. I lay my head against his chest listening to his heart beating. Listening to his heart beat I fall asleep.