Chapter 3: A passing wish. (Part 3)

Start from the beginning

"Of course it is," Bethial nodded.

"We're just changing the ending," Lillia stepped beside him and showed a smile. "So you're here Kyle... I'm sorry." To his surprise tears began to pool in her eyes.

He stood up wanting to calm her but not sure what to do, "What- no- um, this is my fault."

"If we did our job better you could have lived peacefully without any of this," she shook her head.

"Please don't say that," Kyle's voice came out firmer than he intended. "You saved my home and I'm here because I chose to be." Lillia wiped her eyes. From his perspective she was nothing like the overbearing figure of the Eternal Hero. "But- I'm still really confused."

"I can tell him right?" Lillia looked to the Captain for assurance. He paused as if deciding, however Lillia continued. "No, I want to tell him."

"Well I can't go against the Hero's will," Bethial raised his hands as if do nothing against her.

She took a deep breath, "We're fake Hero's, though you probably realised that. The Hero did exist but about one hundred years ago he vanished and since then people like me and Jana have been using his armour to fight the demons."

Kyle shut his eyes for a moment trying to process what she was saying, "So for one hundred years you've been taking the Hero's place and no one knew?"

Valandus' voice came from the front of the truck, "Well a few of us know."

"The high ranking officials in the military and the Church as well as a portion of the Hero's Guard," the Captain clarified. "In total there are not many more than a hundred that know the truth."

"Because if we did, it would break the foundation of the world right?" Kyle said beginning to understand. Almost every significant conflict was resolved by the Eternal Hero and the Church supervised the four states through his influence. If that fell apart, he could only imagine the chaos.

"Exactly," the Captain looked at him impressed. "That's why we had to take you away. To even begin to know the truth could harm many people."

"Right, but Lillia what did you mean people like you and Jana?" he frowned as he realised the source of the pressure in his chest. "Can't someone else be the Hero?" Why did it have to be Jana and Lillia? Hair colour aside, they seemed like any other girl his age and yet they were being used to wage a war that might never end.

Lillia began to fidget, "Because we're special...." She was hesitant to tell Kyle the truth now, wondering if it would change his attitude towards her. Her fingers stopped and resolved themselves, "We're not normal. Our hair isn't this way because we want it to be and it doesn't end with that."

Reina's voice took over, "The Hero's armour is a powerful tool he left behind but forces an extreme burden on the wearer. To even put it on, that person must have reached a high proficiency with magic as well as hold a sturdy body, the selection criteria is severe. Not anyone can just use it." Her eye's seemed to pierce into Kyle's. "Those who do suffer consequences as well. After a single use most can't put it back on. Though there are exceptions."

"That's us," Lillia smiled trying to show her strength but to Kyle it showed her burden. "Even without training we're compatible with the armour and can wear it as many times as we need to. It's just... even with that we're still fakes." Her tears steadily came back, "Like Jana I'm going to do my best even if that means one day I'll die. That's our duty to this world."

Kyle could feel his heart clench from her words and the promise he had made with Jana rung in his mind, 'Look after Lillia and the others." He now understood but didn't know how to. All he knew right now was that he wanted the girl in front of him to smile properly, to enjoy something even just a little.

"This might be a bit sudden but I have something for you," Kyle moved to where his luggage was and took out a single box, placing it on the table. "I wanted to give this to your earlier along with Jana but... I didn't make it in time." He opened it slowly presenting the cake. It really wasn't much to look to begin with and now that a day had passed the cake no longer sat perfectly in shape.

"You made this for us?" Lillia shifted her eyes between Kyle and the cake. She made another attempt to wipe her tears but couldn't hold them back. A smile broke her lips and she began to laugh, "Jana was right, you really are weird."

"I'm weird?"

She nodded, "I can't explain why but I just get that feeling, it's a good one though."

"Then I can live with that," Kyle returned her smile and looked to the Captain. "Do you have a knife?"

Before the Captain could say anything Valandus' voice travelled from the front of the truck, "Oh damn is that cake?" The vehicle started to slow.

"Valandus did I say you could stop?" The Captain eyed him but it was already too late as he had pulled over.

"Oh come on Cap give us this one," he took a knife from the cupboard and handed it to Kyle. "Reina you too stop working for once. Besides... I think we could all use some time."

Bethial let out a smile, "I believe you're right. Lillia the plates please and Reina if you could make some tea."

"Yes sir," Reina stood up at his behest and began to boil some water as Lillia went to the nearby cupboard.

Before long the table had been set and cut slices of cake were laid out in front of each of them. Kyle looked at the people around the table and felt a little warmer. To be honest he was afraid of what would happen when he agreed to come with them but now it felt like everything would be alright.

Lillia held her mug and raised it, "For Jana."

"For Jana," the reply came as everyone else raised their cups as well, Kyle a beat behind them.

Lillia took the first bite, the rest of table watching her. As the fork left her mouth with the piece of cake gone a mirth bloomed in her cheeks.

"It's delicious," she wiped her eyes once more, missing a tear and letting it roll down her cheek dripping to the table below. "She would have loved it."

As the five of them ate and shared stories of another time, a single slice remained. Plated on display with a cup beside it, an empty chair sat ready for a person who would never come. If she was there however she would have laughed with them all, trying to steal even another bite but that was something they could never know, at least not for sure.