Chapter 3: A passing wish. (Part 2)

Start from the beginning

Kyle could feel his chest tightening from a mixture of pain, regret and embarrassment.

"Are you done?" the Captain's voice came out gravely as his eyes honed down at the Petty Officer. "I would ask you show respect to our new companion."

"My apologies sir!" Valandus bowed his head trying to avoid the stern gaze.

"I'll be making our final check ins. Show Kyle to his bunk and get him sorted. Make sure that he's given the adequate information and Valandus,"

"Yes Captain?"

"Watch your mouth," Bethial turned away, leaving towards the back of the truck's second compartment.

Valandus shivered, "Damn he can be scary." He turned towards Kyle again, "Anyway I'll show you around and don't let my comments from before bother you, at least you're unique."

Kyle was seriously bothered, still he shook it off and followed the taller man who helped by taking one of his bags. He was lead to the front compartment of the truck which opened from a side door. Inside were what seemed like the sleeping quarters as well a makeshift office of sorts. To his right were the driver and passenger seats while to his left a corridor went down to the end of the truck. Along the sides were four beds inlaid to the walls making two per side and further were several cabinets before it broke into a kind of lounge where a table and couch were set against the wall. What should have looked quite homey was instead dug down by necessity as various documents and maps had been strewn about, most of which Kyle couldn't even begin to read.

"Yeah it's a mess at the moment but it's controlled... kind of." Valandus pointed towards a nearby bunk, "This is where you'll be sleeping till we reach Central City, make yourself at home. There's a bit of space you can have next to it. Also I don't think I have to say this but don't poke around. Aside from confidential documents there's also a few things that could hurt you."

"Right...," Kyle nodded slowly. He placed his belongings on the bed and took a deep breath to calm himself. It was an entirely new environment for him. He had ridden in the village truck a few times but it was a rickety thing and far from sophisticated. Where he was now was something built to be state of the art and everywhere he looked he was reminded of how much of a country bumpkin he was.

A brush of movement suddenly caught his gaze as someone began to descend from a ladder around the corner. It was apparent there was also a top area to the compartment.

"How is she?" Valandus asked the women who had appeared.

"Recovering," the women said simply before turning her eyes to Kyle. To his discomfort it was the same women who had picked up Jana and Lillia. Unlike Valandus and even the Captain who gave off a more casual feeling the lady before him remained stern. Her eyes were almost cold as her rock iron expression studied him. "Welcome baker. I am 2nd Officer Reina Montes in charge of logistics for operations concerning the Hero. I heard you saw some things you shouldn't have."

Kyle could feel a shiver cross his spine unsure if she was trying to intimidate him on purpose or not. He pushed through "Kyle Barker, I hope we get along." His gaze shifted upwards and with a light gesture he continued, "Is... is Lillia up there?"

"She is. However she is no condition to speak or meet with you," she folded her arms. "The Captain explained the situation to me but let me make this clear, know your place and don't get in our way. There's more here to lose than just your life."

Kyle didn't know how to reply to that. He knew he didn't belong already and that he was only here because of a single whim but he still refused to say it was the wrong choice. If he did, it meant that Jana would have died alone.

Taking his silence as his reply Reina looked away, "I'm going to check on the Captain. Valandus make sure to keep an eye on him." She pushed past them both and left the truck.

After a short while Kyle sighed, "She doesn't like me does she?"

"Reina's like that with everyone except the Captain," Valandus said curtly, "but yes she doesn't like you. Well you can't blame her. The Hero's Guard is one of the hardest military regiments to join and you got a free ticket in by just being a little curious."

"S-sorry," he apologised.

"Ah don't be," Valandus slapped him on the back causing him to wince. "We've all got our issues and besides," his expression became soft, "Jana did say she wanted to meet with you at least one more time. Thanks for giving her that."

Kyle blinked awkwardly at his words, "I..."

"Don't mind it. You'll fit in somewhere eventually. That aside once we reach Central you won't have much to do with us."

"Wait, why?"

"We deal with a lot of the demon stuff and considering you're not real military personnel you'll probably be kept far away from the fighting. Though I can't say for certain, can't ever get a good track on what the higher ups are thinking." Valandus flicked Kyle's forehead as he began to shift into a quiet daze, "You're tired aren't you? You were probably up all night. Go get some rest. Don't worry we won't shank you in your sleep."

Kyle was practically forced into his bunk, "But-."

"To be honest I'm not sure what I can and can't say so please do me a favour and go to sleep," Valandus laughed and Kyle was beginning to get a picture of what kind of guy he was. "Oh and call me Val."

"Sure and thanks," Kyle looked at him sincerely. It became clear that he was more tired than he thought as sleep began to darken his vision. As his mind became hazy Valandus' final words trickled in,

"Don't thank us... we don't deserve it."