Chapter 25

Ramadan Mubarak ✨

In class, everyone was busy getting their past questions, the principal strictly asked the teachers to keep an eye on the WAEC candidates, he had also threatened to sack any teacher that goes absent for no valid reason during the exams week so all the staff where extra careful in other not to get sacked.

Bintu was checking her QandA with her seatmate, Faith Garba when she heard a tap on the shoulder from behind her. She shrugged her shoulders because their form teacher was in class and she didn't want to get pushed.

The tapping continues and bintu got annoyed "what!" Bintu whispered

Barau, the class trouble maker grinned "so I've heard you're going to graduate from ibtida'iyya(primary school) in islamiyya"

Bintu rolls her eyes "yes so... haven't you seen the invitation card" she hisses "stop asking me dumb questions"

Barau glared at her playfully "so because you're going to graduate from islamiyya, you're now forming for me ko" he moved closer to his desk that is conjoined with bintu's chair to whisper something to her "don't worry, when we finally get married, you'll learn how to respect me" he moved back with smirk.

Bintu couldn't help but turn her head to see the small boy, as short as he is, his referring to himself as her future husband.... Chabb. She gave him a stink eye.

"And don't forget to keep my jollof rice  separately ooo, you know amongst all our mates. I'll be your special guest"Barau winked.

Bintu was about to hiss when she got interrupted by the teacher "Fatima b. Tanimu and Sufyan Barau, mind telling the class what you where discussing"

The whole class turn to them.

'gulmawiya(gossip mongers)'bintu thought.

"No sir, it was Sufyan that was distur...."

"Shut Up and face your work" the form teacher shouted and regarded the whole class to face their works.

Bintu turned back and gave barau a hot glare before diverting to what she was doing.

"This barau bah, don't mind him. He likes looking for trouble" Faith Garba whispered to bintu. Bintu just nodded and raised her head for a bit moment, her eyes clashes with that of Nusaiba's. She gave Nusaiba a smile which got the girl confused because last time she checked, they where not on talking terms.

Moments later, the bell rang for closing, the day was short considering it was Friday so everyone was excitedly rushing to the gate. The Muslim boys where rushing to go home so that they could prepare themselves before juma'a prayer while the girls where excited to come home and dress up to look good. Bintu was not part of all that, she was supposed to be so excited because tomorrow was the day she was going to graduate from islamiyya, a day her and her classmates have been waiting for, a day in which all her loved ones from Kano and even her friends here in Kaduna will gather to witness and support her, a day she'll give anything for her late father to see and a day she wants her mother to witness and to be so proud of her but yet here she is sad and upset.

Upset that her mother choose some random man over her, upset that, that  man has caused a rift between her and her mother. Upset that she had no choice but to accept the fact that he's going to be her mother's husband, hence her supposed father and also upset that she has to adjust to all the people his going bring into her and her mother's lives.

   'does she really have to get married' bintu thought while arranging her books in her bag.

"Are you ok" she turned to see Nusaiba standing few feet away from her. The class was almost empty.