Chapter 1: A Baker's dream (Part 1)

Comenzar desde el principio

"Dad you can't say that," Kyle quickly reprimanded him.

"Ha! No one's here but us and besides the truth is the truth. What's Mr Turner going to do, kick out the village's only proper baker?""

Kyle frowned not liking the idea of being homeless, "He really could."

Seeing his son's serious expression he couldn't help flick some flour towards him, "Even as a kid you were always so level headed. I really wonder where you get that from."

A puff of white flew from Kyle's mouth as he coughed the flour off his face, "Obviously not you. Whatever forget I mentioned anything. There's bread to bake." And so the two went back to work.

As the hours passed and the early morning rose in proper, the village of Tomph began to move. The streets of pressed dirt and stone were quiet with only few walking the laneways between the far spread houses. Smoke began to rise from the chimneys as warmth flushed the weary night away and with it came the usual morning routine. Farmers began to start their work as others prepared for the day, the school house by the centre of town opened its doors waiting for the pupils to arrive and the call of a friendly good morning passed from person to person.

In this very ordinary day like many days before, Kyle pushed his cart through the village. Laden with baked goods, the cart let out the soft hum as the crystals within kept its occupants fresh and warm. The old hand-me-down cart rolled with a wobble as the oddly paired wheels crossed the occasional stone. Back in his earlier years it was his father that would make the deliveries and although since then the cart had been improved, the box was still at times a struggle to push.

"Good morning Kyle," an older women greeted him with a smile. Her greying hair and slight hunch was a common sight in the village as many of those who remained were up in their years. "You'll build up those muscles quickly at this rate."

With a push Kyle held the cart in place against the slope, "I'd rather have those muscles now. Would you mind making the load a little lighter?"

The older women let out a fake gasp, "But Kyle, Mr Turner would hate not to have his morning's first pick."

"For you Mrs Nell I'd break the rules," Kyle chuckled. "Besides if he wants first pick he should at least meet me halfway instead of making me walk up this damn hill."

"Then I must oblige you," Mrs Nell curtsied as she walked to the cart and placed a loaf in her bag, with it was the clink of coins being dropped in the nearby tin.

"Thank you for your business," Kyle replied with a smile before once more pushing the cart away.

The village of Tomph could be described as nowhere. Away from the cities it was a place that framed the simple life. A community that supported itself and traded little with the outside world. Nestled between the forest and meadows, the quiet village was almost hidden aside from the single mansion atop a small hill. It was that hill which Kyle found himself climbing.

By the time he reached the top his back was already covered in sweat. At times like these Kyle really couldn't help dislike his disposition. No matter how many months or years he had worked, his body had never become quite used to it. With a sigh he wiped away his perspiration and came to the mansion's front. Unlike the other homes of Tomph the mansion had a high outer wall as if purposefully showing the power it represented.

"Delivery!" Kyle called from the front of the gate and soon a well-dressed butler arrived.

"Mr Barker, good morning. You're as punctual as usual," the butler greeted him with his usual stiff expression, something that Kyle couldn't quite get used to.

"Well we do wake up early," he kept up a business smile and opened the cart's storage. "Here is this morning's selection."

"Yes very good as usu-."

A loud voice interrupted him as a portly man quickly approached, "One moment there Sebastian." Dressed in fine attire and with a moustache to match, the man had an air of nobility to him, though the bolding on his head was never to be mentioned.

"Good morning Mr Turner," Kyle nodded towards him politely.

"Ah yes good morning," the Mayor's eyes barely passed him instead focusing on the butler. "Sebastian please make the purchase of several extra poppy seed bagels and a loaf of sourdough."

"Yes sir," Sebastian bowed and turning to Kyle began to make his selection. "Ah there seems to be no more sourdough loafs."

"Excuse me?" Mr Turner who had already began to head back inside abruptly turned around. His eyes went straight to Kyle. "Did you not bake any this morning?"

"We did sir, I'm sure I-," Kyle paused as he realised. Most the village who ordered delivery did so before hand and aside from the ordered goods the rest were spares. It just so happened that the only sourdough loaf had already been taken. "Ah... I must have not placed it in the cart. If it's okay with you we have a selection of other loaves that are-."

"Why this is quite preposterous Mr Barker. My family overseas this village and you cannot even supply an adequate selection of bread? I will have to have a word with your father."

"No umm well-," Kyle didn't know quite what to say. He just knew that his father would only make the situation worse, he wasn't the best at personal negotiation.

"Father where are you!?" a shrill voice suddenly called from the open door of the mansion. There standing by the door still dressed in her nightwear was the Mayor's daughter. The same age as Kyle she had a youthful appearance but one that was refined by etiquette. As her eyes caught onto Kyle a slight panic seemed to spread across her expression but instead of running away her pride made her stay. With a clear step she approached the front gate fully aware of her attire but owning it nonetheless.

"Marisha my daughter, I'll be just one moment," Mr Turner said to her apologetically. "No need to come out here."

"It's not a problem is it?" she looked towards her father before focusing on the young baker. "Good morning Kyle."

Kyle lightly bowed in reply, "Good morning Miss Turner, you are up early today."

"Of course. A lady such as myself must always be prepared," she huffed and Kyle decided not to point out her current choice of clothing. "And did I not say to call me Marisha?"

"O-of course," he couldn't help but flinch at the stern gaze coming from her father.

Mr Turner stepped between them, "Breakfast will be ready soon. We're simply having a slight lack of selection."

"Just take what you can father," Marisha scowled. "There's no point pushing this further and Kyle has other deliveries to make."

"But-,"

"It's fine," she turned away and without looking headed back towards the mansion. "Good day to you."

Mr Turner pushed out his chest, "I won't be so lenient next time. Ensure this mistake is not made again." With that he quickly followed his daughter back inside.

Not sure what to do about the odd exchange Kyle scratched his head and looked to Sebastian who hadn't moved, "Umm so please take what you'd like." Mr Turner wasn't a bad mayor, or so Kyle thought, he was just a bit stand offish and his daughter Marisha was quite the same having an unyielding attitude, though for whatever reason he felt that she was actually quite nice to him most the time.

The clink of coins broke Kyle from his thoughts and to his surprise there was a little extra added in.

"For this morning's trouble," Sebastian bowed nonchalantly and stepped away, his expression never changing. Kyle could never read what that man was thinking.

With his most arduous delivery over Kyle lifted the breaks of the cart and turned back. On the plus side the way down was much easier and one of few true enjoyments he had in his morning routine.