Chapter 1: A Baker's dream (Part 1)

Start from the beginning

"Ehhhh... couldn't you wake me up normally?" he groggily looked towards the man standing above him.

The man grinned, "Well you didn't wake up when I called you so I thought I'd have some fun." Easily taller than six feet and with more muscle than a baker should have he expressed no guilt. "Now get changed we have a big order to fill today. Oh and Kyle don't forget to dry your sheets. I might have used a bit too much water there."

"Yes dad," the young man named Kyle slowly rose as his father escaped cheerily. Like his father he shared the same flaxen hair however unlike his father he didn't inherit his surprising amount of muscle. Instead Kyle could be said to have a delicate build and a face most would say was wasted on a boy, and as Kyle looked in the mirror he had to agree. Although ne never wanted to be a knight or swing a sword, he couldn't help but feel a bit lacking. Still his arms were stronger than they looked from years of working the dough that was their livelihood.

With his work clothes and apron on and his sheets left to dry from the morning's assault, Kyle headed to the kitchen. Piles of dough had already been prepared and were being pushed into shape. The oven's heat smoothed out the chill in the air and like the day before, with no need to be told Kyle began to work beside his father. If asked whether he liked his job, the answer would be yes. To Kyle there was something about working in the early hours where all others were asleep. A methodical motion that was sprinkled with creativity. Each bun, pastry or baguette, the same yet different. Better still was the reward and smile of those who'd wake to his creations. It was a simple life that he appreciated more than anything else.

"Hey dad," the words left Kyle's mouth as he pushed a laden tray into the oven. "Do you ever have weird dreams?"

"Weird dreams?" his father perked at his question. "Well the other night I dreamt the entire village was transformed into cats until only I was left. You'd be surprised how creepy that is. Imagine yourself as a brown fur monster purring 'one of us' over and over again."

"Umm what?" Kyle looked at him with raised brows but quickly shook off his father's talk. It was normal after all. "No not quite that weird. I mean like dreaming about people you've never met before."

"Oh? Like who, was it a girl?"

"Well yes there was a girl there but-."

He was cut off as his father smirked, "A girl huh? Well you are that age my son. In fact I'd consider you quite the late bloomer."

"It wasn't that kind of dream," Kyle replied exasperated. "I couldn't even see their faces that well, they were all blurry."

"Hmm," his father paused, letting the dough settle. "Isn't that quite normal for a dream?"

"Well yes but... everything else looked so real and to be honest this wasn't the first time I dreamt of them."

"Maybe it's a sign," the older man waved his hand mystically, smiling. "Who knows in the near future you just might meet her."

Kyle sighed, "It's not about the girl."

"I'm just playing with you," he laughed and began working the dough again. "Still you should get out more. At this rate you'll end up alone like this old man."

"And just where would I go? The only other girl my age in this village is the Mayor's daughter and she's way off limits."

"That and she's not the small bit of a stuck up brat."