501st/Emotional Support Civie

The moment you stepped into the clone barracks, the 501st adopted you. You weren't really supposed to be there, you had accidentally gotten lost and wandered into their barracks. But that didn't matter, because right now one of the troopers identified as Echo was sitting in front of you as you read one of your favorite books to him, War of the Worlds, reading chapter four. The others you met listening in as well.

"....The end of the cylinder was being screwed out from within. Nearly two feet of shining screw projected. Somebody blundered against me, and I narrowly missed being pitched onto the top of the screw. I turned, and as I did so the screw must have come out, for the lid of the cylinder fell upon the gravel with a ringing concussion. I stuck my elbow into the person behind me, and turned my head towards the Thing again. For a moment that circular cavity seemed perfectly black. I had the sunset in my eyes...." You read aloud.

Just as you were about to read the next paragraph, a person you didn't know walked into the room.

"Uh, who's that?" He asked, gesturing towards you.

"We found her wandering the barracks, General." One who called himself Jesse said.

"Hello." You said and smiled.

"She's currently reading to us right now and it's getting interesting." Echo said.

"C'mon, I want to know what happens next!" One named Kix exclaimed.

You turned your attention back down to the datapad in your hands and began to read again.

"....I think everyone expected to see a man emerge--- possibly something a little unlike us terrestrial men, but in all essentials a man. I know I did. But, looking, I presently saw something stirring within the shadow: greyish billowy movements, one above another, and then two luminous disks--- like eyes. Then something resembling a little grey snake, about the thickness of a walking stick, coiled up out of the writhing middle, and wriggled in the air towards me--- and then another...."

"Ooh, freaky." One named Dogma commented.

"You know what, I'm just gonna leave." said their General and he left.

"Can you continue, please?" One named Tup asked.

"Of course." You said.

You cleared your throat and started to read the next paragraph.

╔.★. .═══════════╗
𝐀 𝐥𝐢𝐭𝐭𝐥𝐞 𝐛𝐢𝐭 𝐥𝐚𝐭𝐞𝐫
╚═══════════. .★.╝

"....Everything was then quite invisible, hidden by the deep pit and the heap of sand that the fall of the cylinder had made. Anyone coming along the road from Chobham or Woking would have been amazed at the sight--- a dwindling multitude of perhaps a hundred people or more standing in a great irregular circle in ditches, behind bushes, behind gates and hedges, saying little to one another and that in short, excited shouts, and staring, staring hard at a few heaps of sand. The barrow of ginger beer stood, a queer derelict, black against the burning sky, and in the sand pits was a row of deserted vehicles with their horses feeding out of nosebags or pawing the ground." You read, finishing off the chapter.

"Geez, and I thought fighting battle droids was scary." You heard Hardcase say.

"Yeah, this is a whole 'nother level!" One named Fives agreed.

The conversation was cut short when the devices on their wrists went off.

"Aw, man! I wanted to spend more time with her!" You heard Hardcase complain.