***********

Today I spent the whole day at the office at work, not because I wanted to no, I want my mate but Zafirah said I have to so she could concentrate. Now imagine my surprise as I realise who just paid me a visit.

"Sir, you have a visitor. He didn't make an appointment but he did say he is a family friend." My secretary informs me.

"Let him through." I order.

"Yes sir." She responded.

After a few moments of waiting for my surprise visitor, my day gets ruined as I realise who it is.

"Ah Alpha Shane, it has been a while hasn't it?" Alpha James says as he invites himself in my office.

I only look at him with a straight face, he is the last person I'd want to see right now. His wife left two days ago, what does he want?

"To what do I owe this pleasure James?" I say sitting back on my chair.

"Oh nothing old friend, I am only here for a chat. Tyler and I were going for some business in a nearby pack and we thought it would be better if we paid you a little visit. Say dinner?" I know he is up to something and I don't like not knowing what.

I know I can't say no to his offer, he is basically family and Aunt Yora won't be happy. Tyler is his son, though less annoying he is still as mischievous as his father. He has this look that wants to challenge me but knows better not to. Unlike most wolves he and his father show no fear in my presence.

"What has made you suddenly want to pass by? I'm sure it's not just because of dinner." I say looking straight at his eyes and trying to find whatever he is working in his head. Wait a minute, I have a telepath in my home but is that safe?

"Oh you caught me, there has been a rumour that, we have a Queen." My wolf becomes alert at this. He is the last person I want to know about my mate. "I was hoping to meet her? I mean if it's not any trouble."

"Not at all." I say trying hard not to show my anger.

"Great then! I can't wait to see her. Let's hope she's a beauty, like your mother." He says with a sick smirk before he ups and leaves. How I want to choke him but he hasn't exactly done anything punishable.

Now I really haven't been able to concentrate thinking about our uninvited guests.

"You invited that sick bastard in my home?!" Mother shouts, of course she would hate it.

"I didn't have a choice mother." I tell her.

"Son, your mate, her sister, your brother and your Beta's mates are a threat to most wolves. James will surely use that against you." I know that.

"I don't really care who he tells mother, it's not like I'm hiding my mate or what she is. Besides, he knows better than to step out of the line." I assure her even though it was more like myself.

"What about Holden? If he doesn't have any problems with the superhumans and Fae then he surely will with a vampire." Tonight I was supposed to have Holden and his right hand man for dinner.

"Our species are at peace, at least those who choose to. Just let it happen. It's going to be an interesting dinner." I say to her.

***

It's currently a few moments before dinner. I know my worry is visible but Zhavi doesn't say anything. I love how she gives me time to be ready talk to her about what bothers me.

"I know you can see that I'm not okay but tonight is one of the nights that I need you to show you're my Queen alright?" She looks at me for a moment before she gives a curt nod.

"Should I ask?"

"Just know that we have uninvited guests. My aunt's husband and his son. He's an ass and that kid is the shit that came out of it." She giggles at my remark causing me to smile.

"This time around I'm not trying to impress anybody." She says with her usual cute smile. I don't like what's going to go down tonight.

It's a formal dinner tonight, Jane is mad my mate refused to wear a dress again. I mean I like her in jeans, it makes checking her butt out easier.

***

Zhavi and I finally made our way to the table, we found everyone there including our new guests. As soon as we entered the room, Zhavi's grip on my hand tightened that if she had the strength I have she would've broken it. It still hurts. I quickly turn my head to her direction, her eyes are shooting daggers at James. Actually no, she looks like she's scared. The last time she wore that face was when I exploded when she had just woken up. I still hate myself for that even though she said she forgave me. I haven't forgiven myself.

Everyone rose when we entered the room, including my mother and Holden. Christian's parents were present tonight meaning it is a very, very interesting night. They are already shooting daggers at Lydia and Holden who are not paying attention to anyone but each other. I made sure the kids aren't included. I don't know what's going to happen.

My mate was quick to collect her facial expression to a serious one. Something is off, I mean more than it already was. What's going on?

James, his son and his beta Jake approach us. I could see Christian feels uneasy. He doesn't trust them around Zhavi and neither does Holden, his eyes are already glowing red.

"King Shane! Finally you have come and oh, this must be your wonderful mate." James says in a fake enthusiastic tone.

My mate looks at his extended hand then back at me as if asking for permission. I nod at her to assure her it was okay. She takes the sign as she shakes the man's hand.

"It's a pleasure." She says briefly.

"Oh it is an honour, you look vaguely familiar. Have we met before?" He asks.

"Possibly, it's a small world." She says confidently. The tension is too thick as everyone is observing the scene before them.

"Well I never forget a beautiful face." He says, my wolf is on the verge of coming out to kill the old man. "Where are my manners? This is my Beta, Jake and my son Tyler." He introduces.

I growl at the boy checking my mate out. He has no respect! "The mate bond between you must be strong. Shall we continue our dinner?" James says as he retreats to his seat.

My mate's eyes are focused and locked on James, she looks like she despises him.

"I know that look." Holden says more to himself than anyone in the room, I am able to hear him with my heightened senses.

"Well, today I'm in the mood to help serve food. Lydia, Zafirah, Raven and Zhavi, a little help please?" My mother says.

I know my mother's plan today wasn't to help but she is only trying to decrease the tension, more like the energy my mate's giving. Zhavi's way to the kitchen wasn't quick, her eyes stole a glance at James before she disappeared.

This is going to be a night to remember.

~

Hey lovies! What an exciting chapter. I hope yoh enjoyed it like I did.

It's about to go down, the dinner if the decade. Zhavi's past catches up to her, how is she holding up?

Find out more on the next chapter. Xoxo(つ✧ω✧)つ