Chapter 20

Shane's POV

My mate isn't taking the news well. Of course I wouldn't either, there's still more of this. More than what we know, I can feel it.

"Powers?"

"You were blessed with the Snow Queen's powers. Your mother confirmed that they can show anyday and on that day you won't be in control of your body." Holden explains, "Another being lives in you and she is evil just like how the Snow Queen was."

"Wasn't the Snow Queen already evil even before her powers showed?" Jane comments causing all of us to snap our eyes in her direction.

"What I did research on her before, she sounded interesting." She says shyly. I guess that made sense.

"She was yes because she is a Fae, because Zhavi is half of that maybe it's the reason why it hasn't showed yet. She is older now, that means any moment or time." I responded.

"Have you felt anything weird happening to you Zhavi?" Holden asks my mate who seems to be deep in thought.

She stops to think for a moment,

"I have felt I was in someone else's body or looking through someone's eyes the day I woke up. I was in the forest I grew up in but that person didn't recognize it." She says. I remember Christian telling me that she had her irises turn blue.

"Maybe that's part of it." I say. She looks like she had a brick wall fall on her, long gone was the happy mate I woke up next to. I feel very bad.

"So what's the plan?" She asks.

"Well we can't give your mother your powers, we don't know what she will do with them. Faes are not to be trusted and that's why we are still trying to figure out a way to get that thing out of you." He says.

"And how is that working out for you?" My mate says with a tone laced with sarcasm.

"Not good," I answer her question.

"I'm sorry pecas." She looks at me with hurt. Her eyes hold so much hurt it's painful for me. I don't want her to go through that.

"Right, so my life was a lie. All of it was a lie, they lied to me," she says more to herself than everyone else. We all stay quiet giving her space to let out her feelings.

She stands up pushing me away from her, "All you have to tell me is you are sorry? The only part of my life that keeps me alive, the only memories of my life that actually make me smile are lies, they lied to me. River, lied to me. I don't know what to believe anymore." She says her voice sounding shaky.

For the first time ever, I see my mate's eyes get watery. Her nose and cheeks turn pink. I feel a strong sting in my chest seeing her in the state. I stand to put her in between my arms. I know this must be hard for her to hear and it's hard for me to see her like this.

Once again she pushes me off her, her glassy eyes held a different emotion before. She fought back her tears, she didn't cry. She turned to Holden who seemed as sad as I am.

"What if I fought this- side of me that is evil?" She asked, her voice now stronger than it was before.

"I haven't thought about that, can you?" Holden says.

"I will never let anything or anyone control me. Whether it be my mind or my heart, I control my body." She said with determination.

"But you won't be prepared when it makes a presence." Christian comments.

"Then we'll just have to find a trigger." She says. That makes sense, but what is that can trigger her?

"If your powers turn something negative into evil then that trigger would be someone you care about getting hurt, or dying." I say.