Promise

💗 : Jander
.
.
.

The doorbell rang loudly, making Zander jump up from the couch. He put aside his bowl of chips and stood up, pausing the stupid rom-com movie he'd been watching purely out of boredom.

He went to the door excitedly. Having the whole house to himself for an hour was not as fun as he initially thought it would be. It was boring as hell and Zander very much missed his boyfriend.

Zander pulled open the door, smiling when the familiar bright smile greeted him. "Finally!" Zander beamed, pulling Jake into a hug right at the doorstep.

Jake laughed, pecking Zander's cheek. "Someone missed me. As much as I appreciate the hug, I'm cold, so can I come in now?"

Zander nodded and let Jake come in. Jake closed the door behind him. Zander, thinking that Jake had to go change his clothes first, made to go sit on the couch again but Jake stopped him. Zander looked at Jake, waiting for him to speak.

Jake avoided eye contact, his ears turning pink. "I actually... got you something."

"Huh?" Zander looked at him quizzically.

"I-I don't know if you think it's too early for this. I mean, we've only been dating for three years, I see other couples do this when they've been together for like eight years or something. But I thought it would be a nice idea—"

"Jake, you're rambling," Zander pointed out. "What is it?"

Jake quickly handed Zander a small box and looked away, face now positively red.

Zander opened the box, gaping at the simple but beautiful ring. Silver in color, the little diamonds shined when the light hit it at the perfect angle.

"It's a promise ring, though you probably knew that, haha," Jake laughed nervously, "I just— you mean a lot to me, you know? You've been such an important person in my life and— god, I'm so in love with you. I heard about promise rings and I had to get them for us. I'm wearing one myself right now, see?"

Jake extended his hand towards Zander and surely enough, he had a matching silver ring wrapped around his ring finger.

"Do you like it?" Jake asked hesitantly.

"Like it?" Zander beamed. "Jake, I love it. I love it so fucking much."

Zander didn't think before pulling Jake into the tightest hug he's probably ever given anyone. Jake was taken aback but he didn't complain, placing his hands on Zander's waist and pulling him in closer. Jake panicked when he heard Zander sniffle.

"Zan—"

"I love you. Thank you. I promise I'll take care of this precious thing— and I'll take care of you too." Zander pulled away and cupped Jake's cheeks, pressing their foreheads together. "How can you accidentally be so cute?"

Jake smiled shyly. "I guess it's just you giving me motivation to be the best of myself to impress you."

"You've already impressed me by being yourself, stupid."

They both laughed again. Jake took the ring from Zander's palm and slipped it onto his ring finger.

"Well, are we gonna go inside or what? I want to cuddle you, the hour without you was boring as hell."

"Okay." Jake pressed a kiss to Zander's forehead. "I'll go get changed."