In the Middle of the Night

💗 : Haisy
.
.
.

She looked through the crowd, though she didn't even need to search. Even in the crowd, only one girl stood out to her.

Flowey teal hair, a girl with pretty ombre eyes. She twirled around on the makeshift dance floor, next to her stepbrother and friend, Zander and Jake.

There were many people, all talking and dancing to the beats playing—Drew sure has the best parties. There was an hour before New Year, and Daisy was standing alone in the crowd, eyes fixed on one girl far away from her.

She was in some sort of daze, enthralled by the beauty that was Hailey Austin. Well, until a hand tapped her shoulder.

She turned her head and smiled at the sight of her friend. "Sean! I didn't know you were here." She laughed. "Though, the rest of the music club is here, I should've assumed."

Sean nodded, humming. "What are you doing alone, Daisy? Where's Sadie?"

"It was too noisy for her, plus she couldn't find Henry anywhere. Wasted her time here, as she said."

A shrug answered her. They stood in silence for a moment before Daisy spoke again.

"Hailey is so pretty, right?"

Sean nodded. "She is. Both on the inside and outside."

Daisy nervously looked at Sean. Should she ask him? God, this is embarrassing. "Do you... do you know if she likes girls?" She blurted out.

"She does," Sean said, "she's bisexual. You like her?"

Daisy nodded shyly. Sean patted her shoulder comfortingly.

"You should ask her to dance with you."

Daisy frantically shook her head. "Oh god no, she won't say yes."

Sean smiled as if he knew something she didn't. "You'd be surprised."

Another silence, a much more comfortable one this time.

"I'm gonna go hang out with Luke and Milly now," he said, "I still think you should ask her though." He tilted his head towards Hailey who was standing alone now, Jake and Zander off to God knows where.

Daisy didn't respond. Sean waved as he left. Gears turned in Daisy's mind. She knew what she was gonna do.

She stood up confidently. Realistically, what can go wrong? The worst that can happen is that Hailey will say no, and what does Daisy have to lose, anyway?

She pushed through the crowd, making her way to get to the teal-haired girl. She noticed that Hailey was wearing a shiny red and green sequin dress, and Daisy smiled fondly.

Beautiful.

Hailey caught Daisy staring, and then she smiled. Daisy's breath caught in her throat as she nervously gulped. She's definitely gonna reject her, Hailey's way too good.

"Daisy, hey!" Hailey waved excitedly when Daisy was close enough to hear.

"Hello," Daisy smiled pleasantly, "what are you doing alone? Where did Jake go?"

"Probably making out with Zander or whatever," she shrugged, "what are you doing alone?"

"I'm not really alone anymore," Daisy said, "I have you."

Hailey went silent for a moment, her cheeks flushing. Daisy wondered for a moment if she said something wrong before Hailey laughed, her face lighting up, throwing her head back.

"You're cute," Hailey said, leaning forward to tuck Daisy's hair behind her ear. Daisy didn't say anything back, trying her best to not scream.

"May I have this dance?" Hailey extended her hand toward Daisy. Daisy nodded with a hearty laugh. Oh, this didn't go bad at all.

They danced all night, enjoying each other's company. Even in the crowd, they were each other's only focus. In the whole crowd, all they see is each other.