Apologize

🧡 : Jiam
.
.
.

Guilt.

Burning and undivided guilt has been eating up Liam ever since Jake joined the club. He didn't want to bully them anymore, so he mostly stayed quiet while Drew and Henry talked down the music club. He didn't know what changed him, maybe it was Jake's uncomfortable face whenever he did it, he wasn't sure. But he didn't want to bully them anymore.

He wanted to apologize, but he was scared. Scared that Drew and Henry won't wanna hang out with him anymore. He'd been their friend since middle school, those two and Jake were his everything, he couldn't bear the thought of any of them leaving him.

But he had to apologize—for Jake, he had to take this risk of losing Drew and Henry. If they did leave, he'd know that they were never true.

💭

Liam walked to the cafeteria a lot more light-heartedly. The music freaks—CLUB—had forgiven him. All aside from Zander, of course. He didn't expect him to, judging by what Jake had told him about the stubborn boy.

When he saw Drew and Henry, they didn't smile at him or wave back when he waved. Liam was confused but shrugged it off.

"'Sup guys?" he said casually as he sat down where he usually did. Drew glared at him.

"Liam, what's the meaning of this?" Drew was shocked and angry, hiding it not-so-well.

Liam was confused. "Meaning of what?"

"You apologized to the freaks," Henry said quietly.

Liam paused for a moment, debating on what to say. "Don't call them freaks," he said finally, standing up. "And yes, I did. Why? Because I couldn't bear how upset Jake was when we bullied them. I'll do anything for him, even if it means changing myself." He looked Drew in the eyes. "If you really wanted Jake to stay with you, you would've stopped bullying them long ago—right when Jake joined."

Drew and Henry gaped at him for a moment, until Drew said something Liam was afraid he'd say.

"Go away, we don't want to see your face ever again."

Liam's eyes stung, but he left nevertheless, his mind racing and tears threatening to pour out. What he didn't know was that a certain boy had been watching him and Drew and Henry speak with his bright hazel eyes.

Liam sat on the rooftop bench, today's events playing in his mind. He was glad he apologized to the music club, he really was. What hurt him terribly was Drew and Henry's reaction. It hurt, losing his best friends truly hurt.

Was it worth it...?

He flinched when he felt a hand on his shoulder, but relaxed when the familiar hazel eyes met his own vivid red ones.

"Are you okay?" Jake asked him, his voice gentle and soft. Liam almost nodded, before he thought that it was best to not lie to Jake, and shook his head.

Jake gathered him in a hug, and Liam let out a few tears he had been holding out. Jake played with his hair to comfort him, but when it didn't calm him down, he held his hand. Liam let out a shaky breath. Jake's touch was warm and comforting—the one that said that he'd be here for Liam. Forever. And Liam really needed that sort of reassurance right now.

"I'll always be here, Liam."

"Promise?"

"Promise."