Welcome To Dauntless

All Character belong to RR & VR

Tris POV

When all the initiates stand on solid ground again, Lauren and Four lead us down a narrow tunnel. The walls are made of stone, and the ceiling slopes, so I feel like I am descending deep into the heart of the Earth. The tunnel is lit at a long intervals, so in the dark space between each dim lamp. I hear ragged breathing next to me, I glance up and it's Percy. He looks panicky, he's trembling slightly and is a little pale. Percy has a far away look in his eyes like he's remembering something unpleasant underground(I'll let you guess) and he's trying to control his breathing.

Before I could ask what's wrong, a shoulder bumps mine. The Erudite boy in front of me stops abruptly, and as I'm about to smack into him, Percy's hand shoots out and grabs my shoulder stoping me. The whole crowd has stopped, and our three leaders stand in front of us, arms folded.

"This is where we divide," Lauren says. "The Dauntless-born initiates are with me. I assume you don't need a tour of the place."

She smiles and beckons toward the Dauntless-born initiates. They break away from the group and dissolve into the shadows. I watch the last heel pass out of the light and look at those of us left. Most of the initiates were from Dauntless, so only thirteen people remain(Percy and the Erudite and Amity boy he saved are there too). Percy and I are the only Abnegation transfers, and only one Amity transfer, the one who almost failed to jump off the train. The rest are from Erudite and, surprisingly, Candor. It most require bravery to be honest all the time. I wouldn't know.

Four addresses us next. "Most of the time I work in the control room, but for the next few weeks, I am your instructor." He says. "My name is Four."

Christina asks, "Four? Like the number?"

"Yes," Four says. "Is there a problem?"

"No."

"Good. We're about to go into the Pit, which you will someday learn to love. It-"
Christina snickers.

"The Pit? Cle-" Before she can finish Percy smacks his hand over her mouth keeping her from saying more.

Four walks up to Christina and leans his face close to hers. His eyes narrow, and for a second he just stares at her. Percy slowly removed his hand away from her mouth sensing she would have to reply soon.

"What's your name?" He asks quietly.

"Christina" she squeaks.

"Well, Christina, if I wanted to put up with Candor smart-mouths, I would've joined their faction." He hisses. "The first lesson you will learn from me is to keep your mouth shut. Got that?" She nods.

"Your lucky your friend here kept you from saying more." Four said gesturing to Percy and starts toward the shadow at the end of the tunnel. The crowd of initiates moves on in silence.

"What a jerk," she mumbles.

"I guess he doesn't like to be laughed at," I reply.

It would probably be wise to be careful around Four, I realize. He seemed placid to me on the platform, but something about that stillness makes me wary now. Four pushes a set of double doors open, and we walk into the place called "the Pit."

"Oh," whispers Christina. "I get it."

"Pit" is the best word for it. It is an underground cavern so huge I can't see the other end of it where I stand, at the bottom. Uneven rock walls rise several stories above my head. Built into the stone walls are places for food, clothing, supplies, leisure activities. Narrow paths and steps carved from rock connect them. There are no barriers to keep people from falling over the side.