1st Test

All characters belong to RR & VR

Beatrice POV

"They're jumping off!"

I lift my head. My neck aches. I've been curled up against the wall for at least half an hour, listening to the roaring wind and watching the city smear past us. I sat forward. The train slowed down the past few minutes, and I see the boy who shouted is right: The Dauntless in the cars ahead of us are jumping out as the train passes a rooftop. The tracks are seven stories up.

The idea of leaping out of a moving train onto a rooftop, knowing there is a gap between the roof and the track makes me want to throw up. The faction transfers lined up.

"We have to jump off too, then" a Candor girl says. She has a large nose and crooked teeth.

"Great," a Candor boy replies, "because that makes perfect sense, Molly. Leap off a train onto a roof."

"This is kind of what we signed up for, Peter," the girl points out.

"Well, I'm not doing it," says an Amity boy behind me. His cheeks shine with tears.

"You've got to," Christina says, "or you fail. Come on it'll be alright."

"No, it won't! I'd rather be factionless than dead!" The Amity boy shakes his head.

He sounds panicky. He keeps shaking his head and staring at the roof top, which is getting closer by the second. I don't agree with him. I would rather be dead than factionless. Then a new voice speaks up loud and clearly.

"I won't let any of you fall, I promise, I'll go last and give you pointer tips on how to do it." Percy says.

"Like you've done it before" the Candor boy sneers, "I won't take advice from amateurs."

"I've done things similar and more dangerous than this." Percy replies. Before the Candor boy can reply the roof is here.

"Jump as hard as you can and when you approach the ground tuck in your shoulder and roll, it will help with the impact." Orders Percy "Go!"

Christina and I grab hands and count to three, one! Two! Three! On three we jump and behind us Percy launches us onto the roof top. As we land we let go of our hands and tuck in our shoulders and roll. Percy was right, it helped with the impact.

"Well" Christina says breathlessly "that was fun."

Behind us I hear a scream. I turn and a Dauntless girl is falling and another is screaming while a Dauntless boy is holding her waist to keep her from falling off the roof. Suddenly a mass of black and gray shot out of the train and grabbed the roof with one hand and the falling Dauntless girl with the other.

"Percy!" Christina and I screamed. We ran over to him and grabbed his shaking arm. With the help of the Dauntless girl and boy we pulled them both to safety.

"Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!" Screamed the two Dauntless girls hugging him while the guy, man hugged him. "You saved her/my life!" They gave him one more hug before backing off to the group forming at the other end of the roof.

"Listen up! My name is Max! I am one of the leaders of your new faction!" Shouts a man at the front of the group.

He is older than others, with deep creases in his dark skin and gray hair at his temples, and he stands on the ledge like its a sidewalk. Like someone didn't just almost fall to their death from it.

"Several stories below us is the members' entrance to our compound. If you can't muster the will to jump off, you don't belong here. Our initiates have the privilege of going first."