liii.

Alexandra

    The hallways were empty and the tile was cold enough to feel it through my stockings. I didn’t want to think about Jayen and my words to her. The way she looked at me with her dark eyes sparkling in the candlelight as she bared her soul to me. . . The way she remained silent as I told her I loved her. . . The way she stiffened. . .

  As I neared the servants' wing I took a deep breath. The voices of my employees could be heard from down the hall, a cacophony of laughter and rapid chatter. The kitchen’s warm light flooded into the hallway as their conversation became clearer. I straightened out my back and fixed the creases in my dress before walking into the kitchen. The kitchen was connected to another room where everyone was seated. I hesitated before rapping three times on the door frame. Maj turned around from her spot at the head of the table.

  Her expression switched from confusion to joy as she beckoned me closer. “Lady Dupon, what a surprise! Come come.”

  I hovered for a second before coming closer. The smell of fresh bread and a hearty stew filled my nose. The redhead–Aoife was staring daggers at me. Across from her Kuna was grinning toothily at me. A pale thin blonde woman was at their side, a perpetually hungry expression stained her face. Joshua and Soran sat side by side next to Aoife.

  “Maj, I was hoping I could speak with you for a moment,” I said.

  “Well, I would love to but we’re in the middle of dinner, why don’t you come sit down?” Maj smiled at me and as if on cue my stomach growled. I hadn’t had anything to eat since our interrupted lunch earlier.

  “I wish I could. . . would you help me bring some up for Jayen and myself?” I asked. “I’m sure she hasn’t eaten yet.”

  “Speaking of which. . . where is she?” Aoife shot me an accusatory glance. “She was super upset earlier and I haven’t seen her since. . . odd.”

  “Yeah. . . I haven't seen Jayen in a long time,” the woman said. “Maybe she ran off again.”

  “Well, Devi, if you actually walked outside you’d see her.” Kuna teased.

   The woman–Devi, gave a short laugh before her voice faded softly. “Very funny. . .”

   “Both of you, cut it out,” Maj said with authority. “Of course I’ll fix up some food for the both of you.”

   “Where’s Jayen?” Aoife asked again. She crossed her arms and leaned back in her chair, giving me a defiant look. I had felt a vague hostility from Aoife since I became involved with Jayen. The thought of Aoife disliking me over such a reason was strange, even stranger because I was her boss and she spoke to me now like I was a criminal she was questioning.

   Aoife repeated herself, louder,  “Where’s Jayen?”

  “In my bed.” I retorted.

  Joshua spat out the water he was drinking as Kuna and Maj roared with laughter, Devi covered her smile with her hand. Aoife turned bright red and looked down at her plate. I looked around, visibly confused, what was so funny? Maj stood up and slapped the table, her shoulders heaving with laughter, “Well okay then! Congrats, I guess!”

  “Can we please not talk about my sister and Alexandra!” Joshua exclaimed exasperated.

  Kuna howled. “What? Can’t handle that she’s fucking–”